100k plus impressions - need help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
A site I manage gets plenty of traffic, but it's adsense earnings are really terrible and getting worse all the time.

This month it's done over 100k impressions but the earnings are way lower than my main adsense account, so I'm wondering what I can do...

Is there some way to push the adsense earnings up?

Maybe I could use an alternative ad / affiliate solution?

Any thoughts?

I don't want to divulge the URL just yet :)

Gavin

You should be making at least 1K per month comparing those impressions with mine in saying that site topics differ.

Couple of questions...if you cant answer them here (TOS) feel free to PM me.

What is the site topic if you dont mind me asking?

Is there a general rate you are getting per click? Plus how many clicks?

Take a look at AdSenseBlackList.com - Filter them and increase your revenue ! and try to weed out any low paying ads.

How many adsense blocks is being used? If you have three, try two and see if there is an improvement in click rate and payout.

Also, what style or colours are you using? I see good improvement using the ads titles as the same colour as the site theme, black text, black url and white background.

I suggested a 160x600 on the left hand-side of your other site, can you try the same on this one?

RedCardinal

OK - first off I have no track record when it comes to Adsense, so this is as much a learning exercise as anything else.

I do know a wee bit about usability though so:

1. The page is quite busy. How about reducing the latest lists to 5 posts and spacing each line the same as the space between last item and bottom Adsense block? Bound to get a few extra clicks?
2. People virtually always scan the page in the F fashion - across the top and down the left. Maybe if you swapped the navigation with the RHS block your clicks would improve. Are many people using/clicking on Resources or Latest Discussions?

Very interested to see how you get on.

louie

OK - ..........
2. People virtually always scan the page in the F fashion - across the top and down the left. Maybe if you swapped the navigation with the RHS block your clicks would improve. Are many people using/clicking on Resources or Latest Discussions?

Very interested to see how you get on.

I was just about to say that, but might be too hard for him to do so.
If you can not change the AdSense from the right to the left, adding a border and white background will make it stand out a litle bit more and catch the eye. Too much blending makes it look unimportant.

Gavin

A 728x90 banner above the title of Irish ISP Test? Or move the smaller 2 ad blocks to come directlly under Latest discussions & latest polls.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Interesting thoughts so far :)

What about the test page itself?

That's the one that gets most of the traffic

Gavin

I would also place the 728x90 text block at the top, replacing the two small blocks you have there.

Just below the actual speed test graph I would test with a 728x15 text link, have the title black, link text black and background white. You may need to align the graph and text ads to centre to make it look right. If the text links dont work at the bottom try them on top of the graph.

I really like that speed test ;-)

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Any thoughts on the forum?

I've made a couple of minor changes to the adsense positioning on the main site, but I'm a bit restricted due to the way the site was done with includes in the templates eg. the text links are included sitewide in the footer, so I can't move them up on some pages only

EdenWeb

Just a thought - I know not everyone is using a huge monitor but with a fluid layout means the Google Ads are wayyyyy over the right hand side of my screen. Everything else is on the left hand side. Might be something to consider?

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
I made a few changes to the site and am currently getting it completely redesigned...

The 728 x 90 ad over the speedtest itself may have helped, but the earnings are still quite low...

RedCardinal

Take care with the footer links - the font size is fairly small.

I still think that you should move all the ancilliary stuff to an inner page and just place the speedtest on the homepage with at little clutter as possible (with the obligatory ads of course).

You could put the latest 5-6 polls into the sidebar just as with discussions (possibly put post count in brackets) - that would free up the bottom half of central area.

If it's about the earnings why not focus on the main purpose of the site (speedtests), cull most of the other stuff to the interior and make the homepage a one-stop-shop (speedtest here with some nice ads around it).

Captive audience while they wait for the results.

Out of curiosity, do many visitors hit the homepage but not go on to the test?

All the above nothing more than my opinion of course :)

Status
Not open for further replies.