3 wins National Broadband tender

Status
Not open for further replies.

nevf

It was announced a few weeks ago by Eamonn Ryan, but I'm just reading about it again on Boards.ie

Just wondering what people's opinions are on this? Personally, while I work in a shop that sells mobile broadband - 3 and o2, and the shop is set to sell about 30% extra on that side of things, I personally can't complain. But what are people's opinions on this?

There's still lots of "gray" areas around Ireland, and whilst I welcome HSDPA to the extent of it's flexibility, and how fast it can be set up, I would have serious - in fact very serious reservations as to the viability and quality of HSDPA broadband as standard broadband.
Has anyone else any views on this?

n3tFl0w

I already have one of those 3 mobile broadband modems and I like it. Like it alot and find it very handy on my train commute.

Haven't checked out the above links but personally I'm looking forward to good bit wider coverage - Having to go through EDGE areas hurts a lot :)

nevf

I already have one of those 3 mobile broadband modems and I like it. Like it alot and find it very handy on my train commute.

Haven't checked out the above links but personally I'm looking forward to good bit wider coverage - Having to go through EDGE areas hurts a lot :)
Yes, but the way that they're calling HSDPA broadband as a standard broadband hurts me.

Do you ever have contention issues or any problems at all n3tfl0w? and whats the speed like? Are you happy with it or would you rather have line broadband if it was going...

n3tFl0w

Yes, but the way that they're calling HSDPA broadband as a standard broadband hurts me.

Broadband is an hilariously loose term meaning pretty much anything greater that 512k... And speeds are better than that so although its annoying to some, they'll get away with it.

Do you ever have contention issues or any problems at all n3tfl0w? and whats the speed like? Are you happy with it or would you rather have line broadband if it was going...

Speed is pretty good. As I said though the fall back to EDGE in certain areas is painful. Sites like this one can take about 30-40 secs to fully load whereas its 5-10 seconds with HSDPA.

Its fine but yeah I'd rather nice highspeed BB. Something like FiOS would be nice :D

nevf

Broadband is an hilariously loose term meaning pretty much anything greater that 512k... And speeds are better than that so although its annoying to some, they'll get away with it.
Yup, they'll get away with it, but Eamonn Ryan should be shot if he honestly believes the crap spouting out of his mouth. For a Minister of *Communications* to say that it's as good as line broadband is wrong.

The fact of the matter is that when you compare capital spending; line broadband vs. roads - roads will cost more initially, and will have a higher payback time. Whereas, broadband has lower initial research costs (no big National Broadband Association, unlike the NRA), is cheaper to maintain, people will pay to use the service, and has a faster payback time - and in fact, it actually pays back for itself.

Speed is pretty good. As I said though the fall back to EDGE in certain areas is painful. Sites like this one can take about 30-40 secs to fully load whereas its 5-10 seconds with HSDPA.
We have lots of edge in mayo, and the masts are dodgy in Westport to say the least, so we get a lot back regularly, and the best I can tell the customer is "well they told me they're repairing it until tomorrow, so if you try using it then..."

The one thing I will say for Three though, over Eircom, is that although all their operations are outsourced to India, they still have brilliant support, and to be honest, they'll even ring you back in most cases and spend hours on the phone with you if they can.
Its fine but yeah I'd rather nice highspeed BB. Something like FiOS would be nice :D
Ah get out of it! - Maybe if you hop in your time travelling machine and go to 2025. :p

Juice

I was shocked that 3 got the contract.

I used a 3 modem for over a year and often found it painfully slow, and that was in a 3G area with full reception. I've since switched to an O2 dongle which I find much, much faster.

As well as the speed problems, 3's customer support leaves a lot to be desired. I had several problems, and I always felt they simply tried to read from a script, without any on the hoof problem solving. O2 provide far superior support.

nevf

I was shocked that 3 got the contract.
Everyone was. :)
I used a 3 modem for over a year and often found it painfully slow, and that was in a 3G area with full reception. I've since switched to an O2 dongle which I find much, much faster.
Well yes, thats the thing. We sell both in my shop. Depends completely on the area. :)
As well as the speed problems, 3's customer support leaves a lot to be desired. I had several problems, and I always felt they simply tried to read from a script, without any on the hoof problem solving. O2 provide far superior support.
Well thats the difference between India and Limerick. In India, they are so far away, and the way they are trained by their employers that way, they're trained to read from the map and they have a set procedure for troubleshooting a modem, where as o2, being in Ireland as trained to take things on a much more face value approach, and deal with each situation given it's merits. :)

ashburner

I know this is an old thread, but we have just got three in my area (middle of nowhere, near Westport). For three to get the NBS is a joke. The speeds are up and down like a yoyo and even at their best the latency is really crap.

I also have a wireless broadband conncetion via westnet. Can be slightly iffy at times and I'm paying 35/month for 512kb. For the forseeable future I'll be running both broadbands as neither is good enough, or reliable enough to depend on. At times I'm paying a total of 55/month for two broadbands that add up to 300kb.

Status
Not open for further replies.