Status
Not open for further replies.
Have just set up a new website Home - Irish Skate Shop and would like to accept laser card payments, at the moment the site accepts paypal. I have contacted worldpay and lasercard themselves. Theres a monthly fee of €30+ which is grand if I was already getting lots of orders to justify it but im not. Does anyone know of a commision based setup like paypal for laser cards?

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
The best company to talk to are Realex who are Irish based
I'm not aware of any Irish companies that offer a commission based solution - sorry

MoneyBookers/Skrill is the only one that provides Laser handling as far as I know without the need of setting up a merchant account with your bank/Realex.
MoneyBookers are pretty slow though, it took about 4 weeks in order to get this set up. You have to send some paperwork but it takes them ages to process. Other than that they are ok.

Realex can be a pain to deal with too, few months back when I called them, I was told they did not take any new customers, I did not even had the chance to tell my company name, when it was set up etc. Their loss :)

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Realex can be a pain to deal with too, few months back when I called them, I was told they did not take any new customers, I did not even had the chance to tell my company name, when it was set up etc. Their loss :)
I find that very hard to believe. Who were you speaking to?

Byron

I feel your pain re Realex fees, but they do a lot as far as transferring funds to your bank account nightly, and generally being incredibly transparent about their fees. I wouldn't recommend any of my clients to use anyone else, and WorldPay told me before that they weren't willing to take very small accounts at the time, which my client had (it really wasn't worth while for anyone to take them on at all).

None the less, Realex are always professional, and once you give them accurate information, they will generally help you out very quickly. Doubt they rejected your custom on that basis Irish Millionaire, as they are always expanding their team, is it possible your bank wasn't willing to give you a site merchant ID - this can happen unless you blurb a huge document about your sites design, development, structure and SSL certificates, etc...

Paypal is easiest for small quantities of sales (Under €500 a month)

I find that very hard to believe. Who were you speaking to?

Some woman
At the end she sent me the forms anyway, but I did not bother, after reviewing their operations and infrastructure in house, I was not impressed anyway.

Anyway to me Laser is a dying thing, AIB has issued Visa debits now and BOI is starting very soon too.
I don't think Laser has a shiny future. I stand corrected.

Byron

Fair enough, but they do offer an awful lot more in terms of ease of handling transactions than options like PayPal, where they hold your money until you want it!

Doubt they rejected your custom on that basis Irish Millionaire, as they are always expanding their team, is it possible your bank wasn't willing to give you a site merchant ID - this can happen unless you blurb a huge document about your sites design, development, structure and SSL certificates, etc...

No the lady in question after I asked how can I get a merchant account set up replied this straight away to me without asking me any question.
It was probably this particular lady that was having a bad day, I came across this many times in my life, negative people, but talking to the boss often get things done smoothly and promptly.

Fair enough, but they do offer an awful lot more in terms of ease of handling transactions than options like PayPal, where they hold your money until you want it!

Probably but I don't not like the fact Paypal blocks your account if one of your customer is having a bad day.
I do not use Paypal anymore for this very reason. I came across this last year where some dodgy customers told me he changed his mind on the product he received and wanted to return it. I said fair enough, send it back to me and I will refund you. He refused to send it and lodged a complain against me stating my product was not fit for purpose and he claimed a refund (He did not even opened the box according to him anyway so I still don't know where the not fit for purpose is coming from). He got his money back and kept the product, never sent it back. Was out of pocket for 500 euro. I emailed several times Paypal about this during the complain process and after, letting them know it was a scam, they still have been able to justify why they refunded the guy etc. Now they want me to refund their money, been over a year, I told them to f*ck off.

carrielou

I am no expert in website design but dabble a bit on local clubs etc. can you tell me is it very hard to set up and integrate realex into a website? do i need to have a wealth of knowledge. i would be looking at using it for club events where people register online and they have the facility to pay by laser online also.

K

Kieran

I am no expert in website design but dabble a bit on local clubs etc. can you tell me is it very hard to set up and integrate realex into a website? do i need to have a wealth of knowledge. i would be looking at using it for club events where people register online and they have the facility to pay by laser online also.

You need to integrate your solution with some shopping cart or bespoke coded solution so you would need some level of expertise. The Realex site has a lot of helpful information on the various options and I have found the folks in Realex on sales and support very helpful indeed. I would start wit ha call to them in the first place and they can send you their latest prices.

Stating the obvious here but there is a small monthly fee for this service but it is convenient to have Laser for small payments.

Kieran

carrielou

Kieran, thanks for that. can you tell me if i was to use a wordpress site and the plug in ecwid shopping cart would that be possible then. trying to spend as little as possible on this but to make it as easy as possible for people to register and pay online for events. I gave them a call and 29 euro for a month and it can be cancelled at any time which suits the club down to the ground as this is just a yearly event with perhaps 3 months of online registration. It is more to give people the laser option than anything else as i even find it is great when i can pay online with laser :)))

C

K

Kieran

To be honest I am not familiar with this shopping cart. Best bet is to call Realex and ask them as they are helpful and their tech support is good to anser this type of question even if you are not technical.

Status
Not open for further replies.