Adsense Bot Refresh rate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Does anyone know how often the adsense bot revisits pages?

I'm working on a new site and didn't want any robots to pick up the dodgy content before I'd finished customising things, but now the main page of the site isn't displaying any google ads at all - the subpages are fine

Any thoughts?

louie

use the robots.txt to block them or look for a script to identify the robots or spiders and redirect to some "coming soon" page.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
use the robots.txt to block them or look for a script to identify the robots or spiders and redirect to some "coming soon" page.
Yes, but I want the bloody robot to visit it now - it's currently displaying great big blocks of colour instead of ads :(

louie

Yes, but I want the bloody robot to visit it now - it's currently displaying great big blocks of colour instead of ads :(

Is there a setting in Adsense to display like that?

Google said:
Alternate ads or colours
Choose what to display if no relevant ads are available. Choose what to display if no relevant link units are available. Learn more... Show public service ads
Show ads from another URL
Please enter a valid URL

Fill space with a solid colour

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, but that's not the issue.

The issue is that the adsense bot is ignoring the main page so no ads are displaying. I know I could put other ads on there, but I'm being stubborn :)

louie

Official ways to hide Public Service Ads (PSA)

• Suggest as altenate colour to display instead of your PSA. This will show an empty space with the background colour you suggest.
  • Suggest an alternate ad to display instead of your PSA. Your ad will show in that space instead of the PSA if their is insufficient content.
  • Place a collapsible ad. This ad will collapse and not show any PSA at all.

How to Remove Public Service Ads (PSA) in Google Adsense

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Cormac - I know, but I also know that you lot are unlikely to click on any of the bloody ads anyway :)

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Very true, the curse of webmasters knowing what Adsense is.
That's why I keep my eyes peeled for affiliate networks that offer things you lot might be tempted with....
I can see me gradually replacing the adsense on here entirely, as the CTR is always going to be crap :)

Gavin

Heh
I'm probably going to use a bit of evil mod-rewriting to replace any instances of that with my own ID one of these days :D

haha you really should. People have made a nice income from that service and there is always people looking for linkage trying to reach #1 ;)

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
In any case the adsense bot finally updated .. so the main page is now displaying adverts! Yay!

Status
Not open for further replies.