Adsense Heatmaps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmcc

I've been reworking the layout of my main website and moving Adsense slots around on the webpages. The official Google Adsense heatmap ( https://www.google.com/adsense/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=17954 ) seems to recommend the left hand side as the ideal place for a skyscraper slot. However I don't think that this is right. People read English from left to right. While someone may start reading and see the left Adsense slot they quickly move on to the main content. And if that main content is text, then it is likely that they will have ignored the left Adsense slot. The main content will also have the eye moving towards the right to the end of the line. There is also another possible benefit of a right side skyscraper - most people are right handed and in terms of mouse travel, they may instinctively move the mouse pointer to the right so that it does not obscure the content. This would make the mouse travel distance to the right side Adsense slot the shortest.

The small banner (468x60) seems to be effective but it can get lost in the background. I haven't gone for a larger banner or rectangle at the top of the content but I have seen that some people are recommending a large rectangle at the top of the content. Anyone have any experience of using large rectangle Adsense slots above the main content?

Regards...jmcc

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Could you do a split test? ie. test it one way for 48 hours and see how it impacts earnings?

jmcc

Could you do a split test? ie. test it one way for 48 hours and see how it impacts earnings?
Traffic has been minimal so earnings are not stable yet. (Google still has a lot of 2009/2010 data to index.) I've left some of the 2004-2006 pages on the old format but I was tempted to change them. The domain history page seems to be the most elegant format as the 200x200 box is right in the middle of the main search boxes. I've used a 160x600 in place of the 200 slot on the stats pages but depending on how it runs over the next few days, I may use a 200x200 box on the stats pages. The 200x200 slot is just an experiment as people have to get used to the new search box positions. The index page still needs a lot of work and I was thinking of a minimalist approach however that might upset the search engines.

Regards...jmcc

Redfly

JMCC, I would highly recommend investing in a crazyegg or installing the free clickheat app (ClickHeat | Clicks heatmap)

As Michele said, split test 4 or 5 of your highest trafficked paged or use Google Website Optimizer to figure the best combo.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
I wouldn't be able to justify the cost of Crazy Egg at the moment, but the other solution could be useful .. ..

jmcc

JMCC, I would highly recommend investing in a crazyegg or installing the free clickheat app (ClickHeat | Clicks heatmap)

As Michele said, split test 4 or 5 of your highest trafficked paged or use Google Website Optimizer to figure the best combo.
Thanks Dave. That Clickheat thing is worth looking into. The main pages at the moment are the index and historical domain counts followed by the historical dns and hoster search pages. I've created an attention funnel with the domain history and hoster stats searchboxes. The Crazyegg product looks good but very expensive as the page count on the site is quite high.

Regards...jmcc

Status
Not open for further replies.