Status
Not open for further replies.

morgan spice

Hey, just wondering if anyone has any experience with Amazon EC2 & S3. Maily wondering is it difficult to set up and if you find them reliable?

cheers.

cloudberryman

Amazon S3

If you are on Windows you can also try CloudBerry Explorer freeware to manage your S3 account. I probably can't post the link and I will not but you can google for CloudBerry Explorer - it is no brainer to use Amazon S3 with it. the website also has quite a few useful links to Amazon S3 tutorials.

morgan spice

cool thanks a lot.

and what about ec2... from what i read online you need to be a server/hosting guru to do it. am i right?

cloudberryman

Amazon EC2

Well, EC2 is kind of expensive to do simple web hosting starting at $75/month. It is good if you need to lunch MANY machines to do some kind of parallel computation and then shut it down once the computation is complete. The real advantage of EC2 is that they charge per hour and you can run it for only as long as you need it. For web hosting you need to run it 24x7 and this is too expensive.

Thanks
Andy

davkell

I haven't set up EC2, but I found S3 pretty straight forward to get setup and start using. The docs on the site are good, and they give code samples to get you going.

There's also a Firefox add-on (can't think of the name of it, but I'm sure you'll get it in the add-ons library) that gives you access to your S3 account.

gbonnet

There's also a Firefox add-on (can't think of the name of it, but I'm sure you'll get it in the add-ons library) that gives you access to your S3 account.
s3 firefox organizer

hosting365

ec2 typically works out more expensive that 'traditional' paid monthly hosting solutions (be they virtual or dedicated)

Status
Not open for further replies.