Anyone interested in a Drupal meet up in northwest area?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nearlythere

Heya, I'm located in Sligo, and keen to see if others are interested in participating in a Drupal user group in this area, or within a reasonable distance.

You may be:
- A web developer or programmer who has used other CMSs
- You may have installed Drupal and been sorely confused
- You may be keen to find out what is possible
- You may be experienced with Drupal and want to share and trouble-shoot

When? Perhaps October would be a good time.
Where? I could possibly get a venue at the IT Sligo- but not sure if they have good open wireless... suggestions welcome
Who knows? I'd like to plan some information session for an introduction to Drupal, but maybe others would like to show projects they are working on.

I went to the Drupal conference in Szeged, where Ireland had two developers giving presentations. Of course we're well represented
It seems that in other countries and communities developers benefit from regular meet-ups.

I also heard from within the community there is a burning need for talented Drupal developers- there were several sessions on hiring and retaining drupal talent; and training drupal talent, etc. With so much about job security, it might be a good time to expand your skill-set.

So- I guess there's not a wholelotta Drupal users in my region, but there may be people who are keen to find out more about Drupal.

Cross-posted to these communities (throwing out a wide net!)
Ireland | groups.drupal.org (more details, and asking for advice about making a plan)
http://www.creativeireland.com/forum...d.php?p=224198
Anyone interested in a Drupal meet up in northwest area? - boards.ie

Thanks for any feedback,

- Heather

FYI: Big upcoming Drupal events in early stages of planning in the region: a DrupalCon in either France or Germany next year- and possibly a DrupalCamp in England in the spring.
There is also a Drupal meeting in Dublin planned for the 9th October, by the Adobe user group.
Drupal Dublin Event | groups.drupal.org

Forbairt

Teaching / Designing / Developing
responded over on the Ireland Drupal group ... weekend is better for me ...

Trying to get involved with the IWF meetup could be good as well ... (there have been what ... 10 - 20 people present for those)

gav240z

I'm definately interested, been using Drupal for the past 3 months or so and learnt alot about it. Would love to speak to others using it.

Weekend would be best, unless my new employer is flexible with working days and meetings like this :).

nearlythere

*tumbleweed* rolls through the room

hm.. i think if i'm meeting up in the northwest, i'm probably meeting by myself.

e.g.,

h: "Hello, Heather."

h: "Hello! These are the five most important must-have drupal modules."

h: "Yeah, I know."

h: "Oh... right... right. "

Forbairt

Your best bet is probably to get down to galway for one ...

the midweek dublin one ... sounds like bad timing to be honest ... (even though I'm in dublin city centerish)

Forbairt

Actually come to think about it .... what about some kinda online meet up ? :D

Screencast ... VOIP ... people getting to say hey ...

Cormac

Actually come to think about it .... what about some kinda online meet up ? :D

Screencast ... VOIP ... people getting to say hey ...

That sounds promising. Drupal is something I tried getting into before but I was utterly :confused: about the configuration of it.

Forbairt

Me in Dublin - Interested in an online meet up ...
Cormac in Cork ...

thats 2 ... at any rate ... :D

Skype has a whiteboard type plugin ... or does anyone know anything better ...

Could be a good way of having a bit of a chat with fellow developers ...

nearlythere

well... seeing how you're both in dublin- it makes sense that you join up to the thursday evening - october 9th:

and in october, come to the saturday event- 25th october:
Dublin Weekend Event | groups.drupal.org

i guess i'm hoping i can some how +add water+ and grow drupal developers here in the northwest somehow.

i might see about the VEC or IT and see if i can get a show-and-tell evening set up- ideally prior to dublin event to get more people there :p

Forbairt

well... seeing how you're both in dublin- it makes sense that you join up to the thursday evening - october 9th:

and in october, come to the saturday event- 25th october:

i guess i'm hoping i can some how +add water+ and grow drupal developers here in the northwest somehow.

i might see about the VEC or IT and see if i can get a show-and-tell evening set up- ideally prior to dublin event to get more people there :p

well I'll more than likely head along ... question of time and commitments really ...

Can I ask what your skill level / background is ?

nearlythere

Can I ask what your skill level / background is ?

hello forbairt, sorry i missed this message. i'm concentrating on plans for the dublin meet-up in november, and was letting my plans for the sligo event fall to the wayside.

i assume you're asking about my background because you're wondering if it's worth your time to attend this free event? as in what will you get out of it? well good news is, it won't be just me! but if you want, i can bring along my MSc if you need credentials. :p

if you want to know more about the people who are working on the meet-up you can find out here:

for the sligo event, it's going to be a brief show-and-tell. hopefully i'm not the only presenter, but it might be that. i wouldn't take the trip from dublin for it, nope.

for dublin event, there are people using drupal for commercial applications; for research; and for just making websites. people from a variety of backgrounds.

drupal meet-ups are casual exchanges, to develop connections locally. the presentations are brief, and various. anyone of any level of drupal experience could give a confident presentation. there will be people who have only just heard of drupal there too. the focus is on sharing and learning.

does that help?

Forbairt

sorry I think I may have come across as nosey in my post ..

Was more wondering if you're a hobbyist ... a graphics person ... a programmer ... :D

I'm interested in figuring out how easy it is to template ... and build on.

littlegreenman

Drupal Offerins

I'd be interested in learning about Drupal. I've been using Joomla which I think is grand for my needs, but I'm always open to new avenues.

Status
Not open for further replies.