Best use for Competitors Acquired Domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

jemmi

Hi all, another question! what is the best way to use a competitors domain name. We have nearly acquired a name - just waiting on the admin to be finalised- and now I'm wondering is it best to just redirect traffic, have some content on it or just keep anyone else from getting it. The name has had little traffic and PR of 0 - entering the name of the site will get you results - but this is very specific. Any thoughts? Apologies if this has been covered somewhere before, did a quick search but no results.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Doing a simple 301 redirect might be the best...

It depends on what the domain is ie. is this a domain your competitor forgot to register or did they simply not renew it

jemmi

No the guy contacted us to say he was relinquishing it - so we got it directly from him. I suppose this may be easier if I could just say the name but I'll wait til next week to tell you! I was of the opinion that it will take a couple of secs to transfer and given the trigger happy propensity of most surfers I am just curious as to what the pro's would do - would it just be a waste of time putting a bit of content and lacing the rest with links?

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
If the competitor's site was getting a lot of traffic it *might* have been worthwhile to maintain it with some content / links, but if it's fairly useless and doesn't have much in the way of backlinks you'd probably be better off simply using the 301 redirect - it's almost instant

If you go to http://www.michelehastoomanydomains.com you'll see it redirecting before your eyes (I don't control the redirect for that domain, but it's to show you how quickly it can be done)

jemmi

thats fairly instant alright, probably best to go for the redirect. Thanks for the advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.