Status
Not open for further replies.

Gavin

I would try and stay away from frames.

Also, I noticed under your 'other links' section that you link out to seo sites. If possible keep all out going links relevant to your topic i.e. anything relating to babies.

Your top header links directly to the image - link it back to the main page http://www.babystitchup.com

gary.b

The marquee tag only exists to annoy. Personally, if it's not stock or Forex, i don't want it scrolling.

I think the "style" of the webpage is fitting, but could be a bit cleaner - for example- the animated gifs are a bit crappy. and the main header - the really pixelated "Baby" is a bit iffy. But i do like the light up B-A-B-Y thing - if you make the image not look like it was made in MS Paint, it would look really nice on the site. The colours are good too.

Also - i think the photos of the products would look better and more attractive if you took them them in an actual child's room. But a plain background would be good too. The livingroom floor (as lovely as it is - i think i have the same :p) isn't a suitable background.

frustrated1

Thanks. I have fixed the top header in the page now.

I will recommended pictures taken in better place. I think they really want to keep the scrolling banner.. but what can you do

Anything you can recommend to create or get better gifs and animated gifs for the site?

fieldcorbett

I really recommend getting rid of the frames. You've only got a few pages so if you can find some kid with html exp they should be able to do it easily. If your really stuck I'm sure if you asked nicely someone here could do it :rolleyes:

des

frustrated1

Yes - I am going to spend some time getting rid of the frames.. learning as I go.

Do you think it would look better remaining with yellow on site with buttons?

Or just get rid of the yellow - and just add buttons to the other pages for moving around the site....

TheMenace

I'm not touching this one with a barge pole. Some general advice though:

• Learn how to code HTML properly - don't use Frontpage, learn about XHTML/CSS, Web standards, etc.
  • Don't use frames.
  • Learn how to optimise images (your homepage is about 1,000MB!)

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
I just ran it through a speed analyser to see what it would produce:
  • TOTAL_HTML - Congratulations, the total number of HTML files on this page (including the main HTML file) is 3 which most browsers can multithread. Minimizing HTTP requests is key for web site optimization.
  • TOTAL_OBJECTS - Warning! The total number of objects on this page is 31 - consider reducing this to a more reasonable number. Combine, refine, and optimize your external objects. Replace graphic rollovers with CSS rollovers to speed display and minimize HTTP requests.
  • TOTAL_IMAGES - Warning! The total number of images on this page is 27 , consider reducing this to a more reasonable number. Combine, refine, and optimize your graphics. Replace graphic rollovers with CSS rollovers to speed display and minimize HTTP requests.
  • TOTAL_SIZE - Warning! The total size of this page is 1903788 bytes, which will load in 385.62 seconds on a 56Kbps modem. Consider reducing total page size to less than 30K to achieve sub eight second response times on 56K connections. Pages over 100K exceed most attention thresholds at 56Kbps, even with feedback. Consider contacting us about our optimization services.
  • TOTAL_SCRIPT - Congratulations, the total number of external script files on this page is 1 . External scripts are less reliably cached than CSS files so consider combining scripts into one, or even embedding them into high-traffic pages.
  • HTML_SIZE - Caution. The total size of this HTML file is 36260 bytes, which is above 20K but below 100K. With a 10K ad and a logo this means that your page will load in over 8.6 seconds. Consider optimizing your HTML and eliminating unnecessary features. To give your users feedback, consider layering your page or using positioning to display useful content within the first two seconds.
  • IMAGES_SIZE - Warning! The total size of your images is 1861853 bytes, which is over 30K. Consider optimizing your images for size, combining them, and replacing graphic rollovers with CSS.
  • SCRIPT_SIZE - Caution. The total size of your external scripts is 5675 bytes, which is above 4080 bytes and less than 8K. Consider optimizing your scripts and eliminating features to reduce this to a more reasonable size.
  • MULTIM_SIZE - Congratulations, the total size of all your external multimedia files is 0 bytes, which is less than 4K.
You can run the test here: http://www.websiteoptimization.com/services/analyze/index.html

gary.b

Very nice tool - the limits for "waiting for 56k.." are a bit short tempered imho - if you're on 56k you learn to be patient :p

But a very useful tool nontheless.

Status
Not open for further replies.