Status
Not open for further replies.

dude

Hello

I'm thinking of moving from my current H365 dedicated server to a (maybe) Blacknight Colocation package. This would be early next year.

My thinking is I can have a very powerful server colocated for a fraction of the cost of a very powerful dedicated server.

I'm a bit scared though.

Should I just buy the server, stick CentOS on it, bring it to the data centre, get it installed... and then transfer over my websites?

Or is there loads more stuff involved, like setting up all the network settings, etc. myself?

Any advice appreciated...

Thanks

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Have you ever configured/managed a server by yourself?

dude

Thanks for the reply.

I do most things via Cpanel, and the rest via the shell. I would not consider myself anywhere near "comfortable" setting up a server from scratch. I'm pretty good at the basics though, and can usually get things done via a bit of Googling and forum posts...

I've never had managed hosting. It's always just been me.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
If you got a reasonable spec server and got someone to install a control panel on it for you I'd say you'd be happy enough :)

hosting365

Hey Dude,

Sounds like dedicated would be the best way to go (remain) for you = give us a shout about specs/upgrades, as we're just about to launch a range of extremely high-spec blade servers at exceptionally good prices.

George

Hi Dude,

We can certainly help you out on this, even to the point of configuring the server and installing a control panel for you. please give me a call at 1850 929 929 or e-mail me, sales AT Blacknight DOT ie and lets see just how much Blacknight can do for you. ;)

I look forward to hearing from you

George

hosting365

Hehe, ambulance chasing again George? The Dude did say 'early next year'.

Also, that isn't your phone number - yours is 1850, not freephone 1800.

George

Thanks for noticing my typo! :D your absolutely correct our number is 1850 929 929.

To think, dude could've been ringing the wrong number and just thought I was ignoring him, that's what I love about the hosting business, everyone helps each other out all the time.

George

Exactly :)

Hope the wedding went well and you enjoyed the gift :)

The wedding was just one of those incredible days, words can't describe the emotions of the day. The gift was a very welcome surprise and official thank yous are in process. :)

Anyone who tells you the hard work of a wedding is the organisation, has got it half right anyway. :D

hosting365

hehe, know what you mean, congrats again to you and Elly - you looked great and sorry I missed the day :)

That said, we're prob OT enough for the poor OP :)_:)

ConorP

If anyone is still reading this. If you are reasonable comfortable with cPanel and occasionally ducking under the hood to fix the odd problem, co-lo'ing a server mightn't be a bad idea. Short term costs will be high but it should pay off in the long time.

Be aware of some things

1) Get a server with a lights-out card and/or KVM setup
2) Have a spares about the house ready to go
i) While I don't colo myself, I've heard you should keep fans/hard disks and ram to spare just in case (most likely things to fail)
3) You will at least once have to head into a DC at 3am to fix something. Be prepared
4) Find out about remote hands, what they do and what it will cost (if any).

hosting365

You can get colo very cheaply these days, but dedicated hosting is also extremely affordable. When you factor the 'total cost' of colo, it's actually much higher than dedicated in almost all cases (unless you have very wierd hardware requirements)

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
One of the main advantages of colo over dedicated is that you not only choose your hardware config but you own the hardware, so if you want to move to another provider you simply pick up your hardware and move it.

Status
Not open for further replies.