Copyrighted business & domain names

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cormac

Hi guys,
What's the best resource to check copyrighted business and domain names.
Cro.ie only checks on Irish businesses as far as I can tell.

Cheers.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Hi guys,
What's the best resource to check copyrighted business and domain names.
Cro.ie only checks on Irish businesses as far as I can tell.

Do you mean "trademarked"?

If so I'd check the trademark office

Registering copyright is an American "thing"

Redfly

Yea, you cannot copyright a business. :)

For US TM searches, try: Trademarks

I am slap bang in the middle of a TM registration process and it's a pain in the arse. Irish, European, American, cobmos etc.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Once you have an Irish trademark you can get cover elsewhere via the Madrid agreements without having to register the TM in all the regions ...

Redfly

Once you have an Irish trademark you can get cover elsewhere via the Madrid agreements without having to register the TM in all the regions ...

There are one or two member states no included in this agreement I believe and also, this does not include registration in the US.

figment

Just to be clear, the Irish one covers you for most of the agreeing countries?
So does trademarking under the Madrid agreement offer the most complete coverage available?

D

Davthalas

Sorry for this invasion of the thread but i have a similiar question. As you'll know from experiance and just basic web browsing most websites have a notice at the bottom like:

Copyright© CRAPDESIGN.LTD 2007 All Rights Reserved

My question is if I register a trademark with the Irish trademarks office can I legally put such a notice on my companies website?

Redfly

My question is if I register a trademark with the Irish trademarks office can I legally put such a notice on my companies website?

The point is that you DON'T NEED TO register a trademark to use the copyright notice legally. You can use it legally the second you created the content and/or design.

D

Davthalas

The point is that you DON'T NEED TO register a trademark to use the copyright notice legally. You can use it legally the second you created the content and/or design.

cool, thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.