Status
Not open for further replies.

DDD

Hi,

I am creating a simple web store, and have been toying with the idea of using tumblr. Before that I had chosen a nice wordpress theme, and was ready to get hosting and use that, but in these recessionary times, I thought it might be more prudent to simply use a freely hosted tumblr page, with paypal button integration.

Do you think that doing so will put potential customers off as lacking proffesionalism? Or do you think it will be ok if the product being sold is good?

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
So you want people to spend money in your online shop, but you don't want to spend money to get hosting for it?

Why would anyone have the confidence to buy from you, if you aren't confident enough in your business' viability to make a minimal investment in it?

DDD

Good point. On the other hand though, I thought that most people (who aren't web developers) wouldn't even notice. I have bought my domain, and am thinking about redirecting it to my tumblr page.

But yes you hit the nail on the head, perhaps it will look offputting to be using a tumblr account, albeit with a very pretty theme.

Also maybe I should mention that my product is in the creative field, so I thought that using a tumblr account would fit in with a strong DIY strain in my work/field.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Well the comment you made about "these recessionary times" was the "red flag" for me.

A lot of websites are hosted on a lot of different services and you should choose the one that is most suited to your needs.

However, you should also be willing and able to invest in your business. An entry level hosting account and a domain name is probably going to cost you less than €100 / year, which is a drop in the ocean.

link8r

So you want people to spend money in your online shop, but you don't want to spend money to get hosting for it?

Why would anyone have the confidence to buy from you, if you aren't confident enough in your business' viability to make a minimal investment in it?

+1 +1 +1

So well said

link8r

Good point. On the other hand though, I thought that most people (who aren't web developers) wouldn't even notice. I have bought my domain, and am thinking about redirecting it to my tumblr page.

But yes you hit the nail on the head, perhaps it will look offputting to be using a tumblr account, albeit with a very pretty theme.

Just to follow on from your logic >> I'm not a web developer per se but I would notice. I also suspect that if you polled 1000 non-web designers on twitter that they'd have a fairly good idea too. Most people who buy a Mercedes because they think they look nice probably can't build one either....

If you're not interested in investing in your store, how will a user know that you've invested in the right training, equipment. In these recessionary times - are you going to try and do a job faster to protect your margin? You need to carefully consider that web users are quite savvy even if not capable of building a site.

DDD

I see what you are saying, but we have spent so much money on the actual product, that anywhere we can save money seems like a good idea right now. Plus our store will only be selling one thing, so we don't need alot of the features offered by something like Shopify or Yahoo stores or something. But I will definitely take all your advice on board, and will put upgrading to a better webstore on the list of things to do.

DDD

I may be a bad judge of these things as someone who shops online infrequently, and is not a developer, but to my mind the website we have, whilst definitely a work in progress, is shaping up quite nicely. Once we get the photography in to it, and more information, should be fine I think. And I will have saved 50-100 euro or whatever for hosting.

Byron

Hmm I'm staying out of this on the techy side, but I would be concerned that you are approaching the whole concept of a website creating validity to the end customer as a secondary, not a requirement, but should be an interesting approach which we may copy if it goes well. Send us a link... and in the grand scheme of things...50-100e is nothing when you get deep into marketing... that's 250 business cards...

Byron

And you never save money by not hosting, only create more hassle figuring work arounds for email, file hosting, ftp, data protection, Irish consumer law, etc.... either way... let us know

DDD

Thanks Byron, Here's the link - bit.ly/lhhUhk (NSFW by the way)

I have emails being forwarded, and as I said I am only selling one product item, so hopefully this will be ok. Having said that though I think that some of you guys comments, while being true no doubt in the technical sense, are perhaps not as true from a business sense. I mean there is such a thing as growing organically, starting small and seeing where it takes you. If the product does sell, then I can invest in a better system, but why start walking when we haven't yet learned to crawl.

Byron

Ahh DDD,

That sort of business changes EVERYTHING! - I am guessing you are making a documentary / movie - in that case, yes the budget approach can actually be seen as quirky and innovative - so your approach is probably ok for the moment - I would keep in mind, however, that you will feel limited over time by Tumblr, and also, if you are selling online, I would recommend using an online retailer rather than PayPal selling DVD's yourselves, the small profit share is worth the security and hassle saving and makes everything look very professional for customers!

The devil is in the detail!

achieve

Thanks Byron, Here's the link - bit.ly/lhhUhk (NSFW by the way)

I have emails being forwarded, and as I said I am only selling one product item, so hopefully this will be ok. Having said that though I think that some of you guys comments, while being true no doubt in the technical sense, are perhaps not as true from a business sense. I mean there is such a thing as growing organically, starting small and seeing where it takes you. If the product does sell, then I can invest in a better system, but why start walking when we haven't yet learned to crawl.

Your username "DDD" now makes sense also! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.