Cuil.com Launch

Status
Not open for further replies.

nevf

yah, i was reading a blog about this on wired.com this morning. seems very promising and the fact that it doesn't build up the same ridiculous level of privacy intrusion as google is very good to see as well.

Cormac

Seems promising enough even at this early stage.
I wonder how they manage IP based searching though, or if they even will.

Scour - Search Socially is another SE launched this week. Scour is a social search engine. It's a handy tool for analysing the big three's SERPS.

Gavin

Its great to see them get so much buzz but a pity is mostly negative at this point. Smart move by not tracking their users as more and more people become aware of the whole privacy thing its going to give them a bit more trust.

Personally I don't like how the results are laid out. I am set in my old ways of having list results but I could see the average user liking it. I didn't expect to see totally relevant results but I have seen better in smaller engines. They have a long way to go yet.

With their outage today I hope it doesn't turn into another twitter.

Forbairt

Teaching / Designing / Developing
A few thoughts ...

I've done some searches and its no where close on some of my searches ... (am I basing that on google ... yes)

If you would like Cuil to crawl your site and have it included in our index, please let us know.
??? links to an email address crawler@ ... I'm not sure how that works ... but a bit more info would be nice

The search results feel confusing ...

I'm not too keen on the colours used ... black is nice but ... its all just not working too well for me. I guess it kinda feels too web 2.0ey

Spiralli

I was playing with it yesterday morning and was appalled by the results it was returning - they just arent relevant. The register is running a story describing a prime example. It's nsfw so I won't provide a link. I won't be using it for a while yet.

Gavin

where are the images pulled from because one of my websites seems to have an image that I don't remember having it on the server....

I seen someone else say the same thing. Pulling an image from one site to advertise another isn't good especially when its an example like you seen (that image is funny though).

jaibin

I heard about this search engine. It pitched as bigger, faster, and better than Google's flagship search engine in pretty much every way. The most important difference between Cuil and Google is its ranking system. Rather than assigning priority to pages based on inbound links as Google does , Cuil analyzes the content of Web pages to divine their relevance to a search query. The most striking new idea is the way search results are formatted. Instead of the ten blue links displayed linearly, Cuil makes better use of the space by using columns.

Status
Not open for further replies.