Data retention

Status
Not open for further replies.

ConorP

I'm curious to know because I have never been able to find a definate answer anywhere what does my hosting company keep on file about my account?

From what I've been able to find apparently email (to/from, subject and date are kept)

But what else, do you log times when I ftp something to my account etc?

I'm looking to move to MT (yeah you got to me blacknight) and I think I'll move about my hosting too, but do I really want something in ireland?

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
I'm on the ISPAI data retention working group :)

The directive relates primarily to emails (other data as well, but I'm trying to keep it simple)

The directive hasn't been fully implemented here yet, but will be at some point.

The time of receipt etc., is meant to be retained, but the actual contents of the mail aren't ... so the subject line for example would be outside the scope of the directive..

US law is much worse on many levels, as they can seize servers etc., without warning under the Patriot act and other laws..

daviddoran

I thought Media Temple too, and then the rest of the paragraph didnt make sense. MovableType does though.

ConorP

Yeah its MovableType alright. I figure since I'm always bitching about WP sucking to friends I should do what I say before any more pontificating.

Lazyness is really winning out en ce moment.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Conor - if you need assistance moving from WP to MT check out some of the posts on my main blog and on my MT tips blog .. I went through the entire process a couple of weeks ago. It wasn't that hard, but it did require a bit of planning.

ConorP

Thanks, I'm sure i'll break something :p

Also perl is being a bitch and not installing modules so functionality is slightly impared. Like I'm going to open a blog sans captcha.

I've always hated perl.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
The captcha uses png, so you need to have image::magick and the related binaries ....

ConorP

After doing a bit more battling with it. I've managed to get it to work

Although there seems to be a bug somewhere.

I've had to add this to my mt-config.cgi

CaptchaSourceImageBase /var/www/mt/images/captcha-source

Of course change the directory to suit your own setup.

lisa85

I'm on the ISPAI data retention working group :)

The directive relates primarily to emails (other data as well, but I'm trying to keep it simple)

The directive hasn't been fully implemented here yet, but will be at some point.

The time of receipt etc., is meant to be retained, but the actual contents of the mail aren't ... so the subject line for example would be outside the scope of the directive..

US law is much worse on many levels, as they can seize servers etc., without warning under the Patriot act and other laws..

What about MSN? Is the content of conversations kept?

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
You'd have to read the directive, but I don't think the content would be affected, though the logins probably would be

niall

What about MSN? Is the content of conversations kept?

Before I go on, I'm not a solicitor and don't fully know Irish and American law on this issue.

With MSN, everything you type goes through MSN's servers in the US. It's not Irish laws you need to be worried about there, but American laws. I don't see anything in their Terms And Conditions about logging though.

Niall.

Status
Not open for further replies.