Deleting Code

Status
Not open for further replies.

robfahy

I've been working part-time for an online directory, doing a couple of hours a week and getting paid a salary. These payments were weekly into my bank account. Then one week I was told to collect a cheque as their accountant was on holiday. I lodged the cheque which bounced and advised them, but they never got back. I also haven't receieved a payment into my account in the last 4 weeks.
I ended up deleting the last script I did off the server, as I it was done during a period I hadn't been paid for. They phoned me up demanding I put the script back or they will sue, even though they havn't paid for it.
Was I right to delete the code. What can they do? I hope someone can help.

Thanks, Rob.

Forbairt

Teaching / Designing / Developing
1: I assume you've sent follow up emails / invoice notifications and so on ?

If they are threatening to sue then I would say that you will be taking them to the small claims court. Work you have done has not been paid for. I would leave the system in the state when payments stopped.

Small Claims Court-Information from CitizensInformation.ie

Its now open to businesses ( and I may have to avail of it shortly )

achieve

1: I assume you've sent follow up emails / invoice notifications and so on ?

If they are threatening to sue then I would say that you will be taking them to the small claims court. Work you have done has not been paid for. I would leave the system in the state when payments stopped.

Small Claims Court-Information from CitizensInformation.ie

Its now open to businesses ( and I may have to avail of it shortly )

I don't think you can use the Small Claims Court. From there website there is this statement:

"Claims cannot be made in the Small Claims Court for debts, personal injuries or breach of leasing or hire-purchase agreements."

If I was you, I would take the higher moral ground and leave the code in place. Also, I think you may have been a little hasty in removing the code in the first place - I'v had bounced cheques before, but client came good in the end!

achieve

I'm also based in Galway, and can recommend a good solicitor for advise if you want. Has helped me out recently. PM me for contact details.

K

Kieran

Non payments are more and more common unfortunately in today's economic climate.

I would send them a reasonable e-mail explaining why you did what you did. Put the code back (someone mentioned the higher moral ground I tend to agree). Ping them again in a few days.

The legal route may not be worth the stress, hassle for a modest amount of money.

If you saw my bad debtors list you would shiver.

Kieran

robfahy

Nothing from them yet. I expect to get a solicitors letter from them next week. A friend told me not to do anything until I get that letter. I was on a payroll, so think it a strange way fro someone to terminate an employment, by just not paying them anymore. The script was actually on my server, so am reluctant to put it back. I was shocked they threatened legal action as it I have all the paperwork: emails, payslips, bounched cheque.

bosmedia

Rob,

If the code is on your server, they would be stupid not to pay you because you have them by the ba*ls.

Status
Not open for further replies.