Dell Hardware Policy Change

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forbairt

Teaching / Designing / Developing
Makes me wonder if there was some pressure from their HD suppliers on this as well and some kinda deal ... you scratch my back I scratch yours so to speak ... if not then this is just pure madness!

Banta

That's a bit mad alright. The odd thing from reading it though was that... it didn't surprise me in the slightest.

As Forbairt says, I reckon this is just a deal/pressure from their suppliers. There's no other reason I can think of for this kind of change, I mean obviously apart from the reasons that the Dell spokesperson outlined... obviously.

It seems to be the way of everything these days. e.g recently learned that the new Volvo cars will only take a certain type of motor oil... this motor oil is 3 times more expensive than your normal diesel oil, and is also thinner, therefore burns quicker! OK, so Volvo aren't Dell... but I would think it's been a similar "deal" done with the HD (oil) supplier.

I wonder if this will effect PowerEdge sales at all...

Byron

I don't know an awful lot about servers hardware, but I could see this pushing up hosting prices in the long run as equipment becomes redundant quicker... maybe IBM et al will be winning back some of Dells market!

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
There are plenty of hardware vendors, so if it's impacting hosting providers' choice of vendor .. well you don't need to be a genius to work out what they'll do :)

Status
Not open for further replies.