Status
Not open for further replies.

CiaranR

Weeno Ltd + Skimlinks.com
Is there any truth in the rumours about Digiweb acquiring Novara?

Judging by what on happened on boards I'd have to say yes but they don't want anyone to scoop the news on them. They have the money and they are really trying to crack hosting again so it makes sense.

ziycon

So you think that Digiweb are moderating the content on boards.ie as well?
I wouldn't be supprised if they had a say in it, sure hosting the site and beinging able to turn round and say we'll give you this discount for some say in what happens on the site!

CiaranR

I wouldn't go that far but I'd say when they (digi) say jump the boards mod's say how high. Not because they have to, more because they feel they should.

CiaranR

beinging able to turn round and say we'll give you this discount for some say in what happens on the site!

I couldn't see john (clould) agreeing to that in anyway and from talking to him recently I would really really doubt it.

jmcc

Well boards.ie seems to be down again. Interesting development though if it is correct - it gives Digiweb an edge that it previously did not have and was not likely to acquire quickly.

Regards...jmcc

hosting365

Digiweb Hosting is Dan, as is the running of Boards - hard to split yourself in two (or act solely for one or the other).

By my calc's the new entity will just about pip Blacknight into second position behind hosting365, and the compbined growth rate might just be faster that Bk too (altho whether digiweb can sustain that is a different discussion)

jmcc

So Novara will cease to exist?
It would be a bad move initially as there has been a lot of promotion on the brand. It could even be a smart move to rebrand the hosting operation as Novara because of the general decline of ISP hosting operations. The big question would be if the market thinks that hosting and access are two different things that should be handled by different companies.

Regards...jmcc

jmcc

By my calc's the new entity will just about pip Blacknight into second position behind hosting365, and the compbined growth rate might just be faster that Bk too (altho whether digiweb can sustain that is a different discussion)
It will boost Digiweb's monthly gains but Novara seems to be aimed more at a business type market and that is an increasingly contested market. Digiweb grew rapidly last year but the interesting thing will be to see if the promotional registrations/clients will convert to long term, high value clients.

Regards...jmcc

CiaranR

I think it's a digiweb issue (boards being down)
I'm dropping a hop just outside digiweb, anyone else confirm that.

Code:
Tracing route to boards.ie [89.234.66.107]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1     2 ms     1 ms     1 ms  xxxxx
  2   265 ms   204 ms   204 ms  xxxxxxx
  3   227 ms   204 ms   204 ms  pc-62-30-250-97-ha.blueyonder.co.uk [62.30.250.97]
  4   227 ms   205 ms   204 ms  pc-62-30-250-33-ha.blueyonder.co.uk [62.30.250.33]
  5   227 ms    85 ms    57 ms  bre-bb-a-ge-030-0.inet.ntl.com [195.182.178.165]
  6    54 ms    63 ms    58 ms  man-bb-b-so-230-0.inet.ntl.com [62.252.192.90]
  7   149 ms   307 ms   307 ms  dbln-bb-b-so-100-0.inet.ntl.com [213.105.174.46]
  8     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  9    79 ms    67 ms    95 ms  to-inex-dub-deg-gw.digiweb.ie [193.242.111.20]
 10   488 ms   614 ms   511 ms  89.234.66.107

Trace complete.

Update: maybe not. Site seams back and I'm still dropping that hop.

jmcc

Do they ever?
It is something I'm working on at the moment. I've been building a historical db of every domain new/del/transfer over BIONIC since 2000 and the patterns of domains that flip from hoster to hoster should be very clear.

Regards...jmcc

damien

So you think that Digiweb are moderating the content on boards.ie as well?

Who's moral standard are you measuring that by?

Digiweb Hosting is Dan, as is the running of Boards - hard to split yourself in two (or act solely for one or the other).

Was he biased then when he worked for Hosting365? I very much doubt it. I never saw a bias when Boards was with Hosting365 and I don't see a bias when they are with Digiweb. I have had issues with Digiweb employees attacking the broadband products of competitors and highlighted it and those threads never got blocked or deleted.

I think Dan and all of the other Boards.ie owners are well capable of doing what they've done for years and that's give 100s of 1000s of people a great site without getting hosting provider Stockholm Syndrome.

hosting365

Dan was an employee of 365, he is -responsible- for digiweb hosting. I'm not saying there is any visible bias, but that things like the complete ban on hosting discussion, but the sticky about digiweb hosting in the same forum are a 'little' biased no?

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Dan was an employee of 365, he is -responsible- for digiweb hosting. I'm not saying there is any visible bias, but that things like the complete ban on hosting discussion, but the sticky about digiweb hosting in the same forum are a 'little' biased no?

I've been thinking the same thing

hosting365

Or perhaps that discussions/threads on hosts are traditionally closed and 'locked' but discussion of digiweb - particularly the discussion of their acquisition of Novara / Host.ie was completely deleted without trace?

Status
Not open for further replies.