Status
Not open for further replies.

tomed

Bit of a high price on the site. 2k??

How many hotels are in Ballsbridge? 5/6? There's certainly no cheap ones! :)

It would take a while to get your money back on that considering there's only about 140 odd searches a month for that phrase.

No movement on price?

Topic split from here {paul}

Dara

Hi Tomed,
actually think there are 14 or 15 hotels in Ballsbridge. I think you'd get your money back handy to be honest if you developed the site more and then flipped it to a hotel. Need not be a hotel in Ballsbridge either-could be a competitor, apartment operator or the likes. D4 hotels remember paid over 1 million to buy back one of their domains back less than 6 months ago in the high court. Not suggesting its a major popular term but people are advertising for it and paying for SEO to rank for it so-give them a turnkey site... Could also prove a good intro for SEO services if someone is that way inclined.

I'd move a bit on price if domain/site was to be sold as is without a top 1-3 guarantee or redevelopment. Its around 10th now but should be easily moved to the top IMO. I've thrown a few links at it so reckon even those will move it higher in the short-to medium term. Feel free to PM me if of interest.

tomed

No offence Dara - but even this forum is above the site for that keyphrase search. It's obviously not a competitive search, so wouldn't be too difficult to get to the top for.

I just can't see where you get your valuation from - but maybe someone else will.

link8r

My 2c

How many hotels are in Ballsbridge? 5/6? There's certainly no cheap ones! :)

It would take a while to get your money back on that considering there's only about 140 odd searches a month for that phrase.

A good few hotels in Ballsbridge - and the D4 Hotels site certainly suggests they are quite cheap!!!

Just talking about the domain-to-search-specific part of this (forgetting all other things, SEO, age etc):

140 searches for Cheap+Ballsbridge+hotels - but remember too that "CheapBallsbridgeHotels.com" is also valid for searches like "Ballsbridge Hotels" and "Hotel Ballsbridge" - Google doesn't do exact matches - that's one of the things that is going to wreck small domain pricing - they will end up having a narrow focus - "CheapBallsbridgeHotels.com" matches searches with cheap and "Ballsbridgehotels.com" doesn't

Dara

No offence Dara - but even this forum is above the site for that keyphrase search. It's obviously not a competitive search, so wouldn't be too difficult to get to the top for.

I just can't see where you get your valuation from - but maybe someone else will.

No worries-and no offence taken and yes I know the thread outranks it. Hmm... shouldn't have tagged it:)

I'd say your right on the valuation that people on the likes of this forum would give it (and think I'm a mad greedy git)-however having just sold two Dublin hotel related sites in the past week I know IF you can find the right person they will pay. I'm going to surmise for now from your reply (and more than likely similar sentiments from other IWF members) that I'll have to go direct to sources/potential buyers myself in time which I'm happy to do. Thanks for the candid reply anyway. I'll let you know in time if I manage to sell it or not.

tomed

A good few hotels in Ballsbridge - and the D4 Hotels site certainly suggests they are quite cheap!!!

14 or 15 Dara reckons. I don't class €59 per night mid-week as cheap at the moment - I'd call that standard!

140 searches for Cheap+Ballsbridge+hotels - but remember too that "CheapBallsbridgeHotels.com" is also valid for searches like "Ballsbridge Hotels" and "Hotel Ballsbridge"

I don't think anyone ever overlooked that fact - however part of his sales pitch is to get the site listed in the top three for that particular phrase, which obviously wouldn't be a difficult task.

If he were to agree to get it to the top for "ballsbridge hotels", it might be worth the price he's looking for! :)

tomed

No worries-and no offence taken and yes I know the thread outranks it. Hmm... shouldn't have tagged it:)

I'd say your right on the valuation that people on the likes of this forum would give it (and think I'm a mad greedy git)-however having just sold two Dublin hotel related sites in the past week I know IF you can find the right person they will pay. I'm going to surmise for now from your reply (and more than likely similar sentiments from other IWF members) that I'll have to go direct to sources/potential buyers myself in time which I'm happy to do. Thanks for the candid reply anyway. I'll let you know in time if I manage to sell it or not.

The reason I looked at the thread was because I felt it could have possibly been a good buy for one of our clients. But when I saw the price - I bawked! :)

There's no way I could recommend, let alone mention this to my client - I just couldn't back up its value!

Dara

The reason I looked at the thread was because I felt it could have possibly been a good buy for one of our clients. But when I saw the price - I bawked! :)

There's no way I could recommend, let alone mention this to my client - I just couldn't back up its value!

Lol-you better tell me which hotel it is then before I begin my rounds in next few weeks/months to try an cajole money for the site. :)

With regards to ranking it top for Ballsbridge hotels-would not be an issue either in time but I'd have a higher price then. We all have different perceptions of value and I know what some of these hotels are paying for seo/marketing so to rank a site top for a few phrases like these for 2k would not be of value to me.

Thanks for the 2 cents Link8r-bang on as usual!

tomed

Lol-you better tell me which hotel it is then before I begin my rounds in next few weeks/months to try an cajole money for the site. :)

Haha - don't worry, they wouldn't do anything without asking me first! :)

With regards to ranking it top for Ballsbridge hotels-would not be an issue either in time but I'd have a higher price then.

Based on what reason? That it's actually worth something then?

We all have different perceptions of value and I know what some of these hotels are paying for seo/marketing

Any online marketing company charging 2k to be found for one phrase like this is ripping people off. So that's hardly a way to value it.

so to rank a site top for a few phrases like these for 2k would not be of value to me.

Why? Because that's a fair price?

Let's face it man - you bought a domain (what 3 months ago), put up some regurgitated code you had on another site, included mentions of ballsbridge, generated a couple of links to the site and value all this at €2k.... absolutely shocking.

If anyone ever buys it, I feel sorry for the poor sod, he's been had!

Again no offence meant, but I just hate seeing this blatant over pricing.

Dara

Fair enough Tomed-each to their own. I don't want to get into a tit for tat slagging match about what I am offering, what I've done, how long I have a domain etc.. That for me is all irrevelvant. As I mentioned already perceptions of value vary greatly. If I were a hotelier in Ballsbridge paying a marketing manager a very hefty 6 figure salary I would feel that a site outranking some of phrases I target with my own site good value at 2k buy hey maybe thats just me.

tomed

Fair enough Tomed-each to their own. I don't want to get into a tit for tat slagging match about what I am offering, what I've done, how long I have a domain etc.. That for me is all irrevelvant. As I mentioned already perceptions of value vary greatly. If I were a hotelier in Ballsbridge paying a marketing manager a very hefty 6 figure salary I would feel that a site outranking some of phrases I target with my own site good value at 2k buy hey maybe thats just me.

Ah sorry man - I don't mean it to sound like a slagging match. I'm just trying to state what other people might not see.

If I was a hotelier in ballsbridge, I personally wouldn't want the term "cheap" associated with my business, but that's another days work! And as for the marketing manager, he'd be out on his ear... If he suggested I pay €2k for this domain and site, he wouldn't get a reference :p :)

Seriously man, no offence meant.

Dara

Ah sorry man - I don't mean it to sound like a slagging match. I'm just trying to state what other people might not see.

If I was a hotelier in ballsbridge, I personally wouldn't want the term "cheap" associated with my business, but that's another days work! And as for the marketing manager, he'd be out on his ear... If he suggested I pay €2k for this domain and site, he wouldn't get a reference :p :)

Seriously man, no offence meant.

I understand where you are coming from but disagree with the "cheap" aspect. Hoteliers will gladly take ANY business they can get from any source these days. Gone are the days of cherry picking exclusivity. I'd say it (cheap) will become a more and more searched componant in long tail and even shorter tail searches given the present "end of days" financial crisis we are all told we are in. Who would have thought the serp Cheap Dublin Hotels would have 20 million results a few months back? Maybe I'm seeing things...but I see 20 million results at the moment.

People may associate cheap with value when it comes to hotels rather than a shoddy product-depends what side of the fence you are on. Anyway look at what sites/individual hotels are visible for the term cheap ballsbridge hotels-if they didn't want to be asociated with the term would they target it and pay for the privelage? Touche!:D

In fairness to the site and the 2k in my origional post I did say it could be re-gigged to specific requirements and offered a top 3 guarantee.

tomed

I understand where you are coming from but disagree with the "cheap" aspect. Hoteliers will gladly take ANY business they can get from any source these days. Gone are the days of cherry picking exclusivity. I'd say it (cheap) will become a more and more searched componant in long tail and even shorter tail searches given the present "end of days" financial crisis we are all told we are in.

Who would have thought the serp Cheap Dublin Hotels would have 20 million results a few months back? Maybe I'm seeing things...but I see 20 million results at the moment.

People may associate cheap with value when it comes to hotels rather than a shoddy product-depends what side of the fence you are on. Anyway look at what sites/individual hotels are visible for the term cheap ballsbridge hotels-if they didn't want to be asociated with the term would they target it and pay for the privelage? Touche!:D

In fairness to the site and the 2k in my origional post I did say it could be re-gigged to specific requirements and offered a top 3 guarantee.

I said "anothers days work", because I didn't want to go down that road. but now that you have.... :)

I agree that cheap is now associated with "value for money" in terms of peoples physcy when searching.

However to associate your brand with "cheap" is a different story altogether. People may search for this when searching, but they don't want to see that the place they are staying in is "cheap" (unless of course they are looking for somewhere cheap!).

Suggesting I look at the top results for "Cheap ballsbridge hotels" to see who are putting themselves there for that phrase is not a good way of establishing what brands are willing to associate themselves with the word "cheap".

Whether it's a sponsored listing or organic result, none of the top brands mention "cheap" in their ads or on their landing pages. Most, if not all, that mention the word "cheap" are third party sites selling hotel rooms - not the hotel itself.

So obvioulsy they are clearly targeting the phrases for the traffic (and no doubt on the recommendation from their search engine guru), but it doesn't relate to their brand at all. Once they are found people will look at the landing page and see if they look cheap or prestige. They aren't thinking of what they just searched for. That was merely a way of facilitating their search for the best value deal.

Most leading hotel brands would never want to associate themselves with this dirty word!

Dara

Ok Tomed-I'll give you a "cheap" deal-€1999.00 seeing as your so keen!:rolleyes:

Have to say I don't disagree with much of what you've alluded to at all. Its down to perceived value really at the end of the day. What you or I value doesn't mean someone else will and visa versa.

paul

Ninja
Remember this is a "for sale" thread. If you want Dara, I will split this thread in to your initial post and the subsequent discussion

paul

Ninja
things cleaned up. no worries lads. Discussion is always good.

Just my 2c, Dara sure the domain has potential (although a very new domain) , you are selling something based on results that you don't have . I can't see it worth the price, might be worth closer to €300-€400 for the right seller IMHO.

Dara

things cleaned up. no worries lads. Discussion is always good.

Just my 2c, Dara sure the domain has potential (although a very new domain) , you are selling something based on results that you don't have . I can't see it worth the price, might be worth closer to €300-€400 for the right seller IMHO.

Paul-yip it has potential-not oodles but some. To be fair I wouldn't sell to anyone willing to pay asking price unless I got the result I mentioned first. When/If it hits top 1-3 for the term I mentioned then payment would be made. Also think the ideal buyer willing to pay what I'm asking may in fact be a non Ballbridge hotel but a city centre rival or perhaps even a major Dublin self catering provider. I'm not in a rush to sell it for the sake of it but the reaction has been interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.