Divs, tables and design

Status
Not open for further replies.

ph3n0m

In the "broken websites" discussion, talk of accessibility, validation, etc got me thinking about another topic.

When to use divs and when not to use them.

We all know that the most recent buzz is to only use divs, and say a big no-no to tables.

But my question is this - what do you do if the design you are given will never work on a page built purely with divs. What if the design you are given will only work with a table layout - even if its only one table?

Now couple this with the possibility that the designer refuses to change his or hers vision - or that that client is becoming insistent on getting the design done (for whatever reasons).

Would you go against your "principles" and make the site - disregarding your possible creedo to make all sites valid (and built with divs)

This is just pure hypothesis - but it could very well happen

louie

the power of divs makes it possible to design a website without any tables whatsoever.

However, sometimes is dificult to achive what exactly you or customer is looking for and that's when trowing tables in makes your live as a developer easier, but lets be honest is only cause there is not time to search for a solution, create one, or the customer doesn't pay you enough.

Once you have it looking good using table, you won't bother looking for a solution using divs, do you?

ph3n0m

louie said:
....but lets be honest is only cause there is not time to search for a solution, create one, or the customer doesn't pay you enough.
I wouldnt agree with that - purely because some designs are not well thought out and do not allow for divs to be used effectively for layout

Once you have it looking good using table, you won't bother looking for a solution using divs, do you?
I am all for divs, validation, etc - but being honest I can get sites done a whole lot quicker with tables then I can with divs. That said I would try to use divs first and foremost and tables only as a necessary evil

louie

ph3n0m said:
I wouldnt agree with that - purely because some designs are not well thought out and do not allow for divs to be used effectively for layout

give me an example of such situation.

I'll see if i can get it to work for you.

rsynnott

Yes, yes, absolutely. If you have a situation where tables work fine and the div-y solution is more awkward, though, I would go for tables (I realise that there are very few such situations).

Status
Not open for further replies.