Do you worry about security?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Do you worry about security, whether it relates to your server, desktop or the scripts you use?

dave

Do you worry about security, whether it relates to your server, desktop or the scripts you use?

Short answer is yes!

For the servers, I pay someone to worry about the security, I don't manage them as I don't have time.

On the desktop, I can only keep my OS patched and all software up to date. Have a firewall and run regular antivirus scans on Windows (when I use it).

For scripts, I generally write everything myself, so I am reasonably sure they are secure. And if I find a problem I can fix it straight away. :)

For me the worry stems I think from the fact that I may have missed something, left some door open, or something unpatched in the server, application and or on the desktop. The only way I can see in combating that is to continually read, study and learn.

What other strategies to people use, or do they just not worry about it?

grandad

Very much the same as Dave.

Regular updates of patches, two AVs [there paranoia for you] constantly updated, firewall and antispyware.

Again, like Dave I write my own scripts and keep 'em as tight as possible.

I usually use the mnemonic method of generating passwords [i.e. "Irish Webmaster Forum is a good resource for webmasters" translates to "IWFiagr4w" which is easily remembered but difficult to crack].

The only people who needn't worry about security are those who use their PCs for the sole purpose of viewing pages on the Internet. They don't run any other application such as word processors. They don't shop on-line or fill in any forms with personal info. They don't use e-mail. They hold no info on their hard drives bar the OS. In short, very few!!!

And after all the above, I still worry :(

louie

No, not really.
For the servers side i let my hosting company look after it.
They do a good job I have to say.

For my own network, I do everything I can to make sure is safe, but if it's meant to happen, it will. My router has a firewall and I have it programmed to let only certain mac addresses going through.
All computers have firewalls, antivirus and anti-spyware installed, including Windows Defender to top it up, so I am really happy with the way is going at the moment.

I just have my own rules - don't open emails with attachements if you don't expected and don't download anything from website you don't trust.
Don't use Limewire, or Kazza etc...
If you do make sure you don't have it installed on the computer that has all your important data.

grandad

Don't use Limewire, or Kazza etc...
So true! Daughter's boyfriend is constantly bitching about the number of viruses and trojans he gets and insists he is squeaky clean ["Oh no. I only browse websites and would NEVER download anything"]. The first bookmark in his IE is a crack site :D

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
So true! Daughter's boyfriend is constantly bitching about the number of viruses and trojans he gets and insists he is squeaky clean ["Oh no. I only browse websites and would NEVER download anything"]. The first bookmark in his IE is a crack site :D
Disgraceful :)

RedCardinal

Out of curiosity, how would you know what his bookmarks are? :cool:

grandad

Had to ask - was really hoping we were going to get an interesting story ;)

Sorry to disappoint. Just overhauling it and setting up a wireless network. Very boring.

The interesting stuff comes later when I next see him and kick the cr*p out of him for lying to me.......

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds like you really love him :)

Course if you were feeling evil you could put in a wrt54g with one of the "improved" firmwares and block all the "interesting" sites .....

Status
Not open for further replies.