Status
Not open for further replies.

Mexture

Hey
When I registered for Google Adsense I was forced to enter a postcode for Malahide otherways I cold not go forward with the registration.
Does Google know that in Ireland there are no postcodes?
Mex

Redfly

Hahaha.

Welcome to the Internet.

Enter 00000 or 00 or 01

Any should work.

(Seems like Fingal has a higher population of webasters than anywhere else in Ireland) :)

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Google is an American company

Americans presume that everywhere is part of the USA

Therefore we all have to use 000000

dereko

actually i use EIRE which i think is a sort of accepted post code for Ireland.. anyone else do this

garydubh

Irish Post Codes - PON Codes

Hey
When I registered for Google Adsense I was forced to enter a postcode for Malahide otherways I cold not go forward with the registration.
Does Google know that in Ireland there are no postcodes?
Mex

You can now get a Post (PON) Code for any loaction in Ireland from www.irishpostcodes.ie - PON codes are now widely used - see here: travelshopireland.com/featured-accommodation/hotels/carrigaline-court-hotel-and-leisure-centre.html]Hotels Cork Carrigaline Court Hotel - Featured Accommodation - Hotels - Carrigaline Court Hotel And Leisure Centre[/url]

PON Codes are available for testing on Garmin Nuvi 700 series SatNav's and they are licensing webmasters to generate and use PON Codes on their websites.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
You can now get a Post (PON) Code for any loaction in Ireland from www.irishpostcodes.ie - PON codes are now widely used - see here: Hotels Cork Carrigaline Court Hotel - Featured Accommodation - Hotels - Carrigaline Court Hotel And Leisure Centre

PON Codes are available for testing on Garmin Nuvi 700 series SatNav's and they are licensing webmasters to generate and use PON Codes on their websites.
They aren't officially recognised by An Post, so what's the point?

garydubh

PON Codes

They aren't officially recognised by An Post, so what's the point?

Blacknight - An Post is not the authority for recognising Post Codes in Ireland. A National Post Code system was supposed to be introduced by Jan this year but it appears now that it is on the long finger due to opposition by the semi state commercial body that is An Post and because of economic issues. In the meantime all the usual well documented difficulties related to not having a Post Code system remain. Interestingly, the biggest demand for Post Codes is not from those sending mail but rather those operating on the web or delivering services via vehicles on our roads (Including Courier Services and Fire and Emergency Services). PON Codes are Lat/long or grid references in a different format - many have tried using Lat/long as an alternative to Post Codes in Ireland to resolve problems but they are too difficult to use/remember/communicate for those who have no knowledge and come in too many formats. PON Codes solve these problems and in the absence of nothing else there is is nothing to stop anyone using them on the web or on satnav's...... they are precise and they work and, indeed, they may well become the National System if and when that is implemented!!!!

All expalined here: PONC Find Out More

and here:
GPS Ireland Ltd - Nationwide GPS & SatNav Services - Location (Post) Codes For Ireland

starfire

Google is an American company

Americans presume that everywhere is part of the USA

Therefore we all have to use 000000

Isnt just American companies
Ireland is the only European State (bar maybe micro states) not to have post codes
I like I am sure many have this problem when ordering stuff on line from Germany and other EU states

garydubh

Isnt just American companies
Ireland is the only European State (bar maybe micro states) not to have post codes
I like I am sure many have this problem when ordering stuff on line from Germany and other EU states

Starfire - a 7 character PON Code will do and anyone can find the location of any PON Code by entering it at the irishpostcodes.ie website. PON Codes can be determined at the same site - why enter made up characters when a PON Code actually means something.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Starfire - a 7 character PON Code will do and anyone can find the location of any PON Code by entering it at the irishpostcodes.ie website. PON Codes can be determined at the same site - why enter made up characters when a PON Code actually means something.

And nobody uses them or knows anything about them....

I'll stick to the 000000 until such time as An Post actually adopts a postcode system

garydubh

And nobody uses them or knows anything about them....

I'll stick to the 000000 until such time as An Post actually adopts a postcode system

Fair enough - but you will be waiting a while as An Post has no plans at all to introduce a Post Code system.

Nobody? :confused:

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Fair enough - but you will be waiting a while as An Post has no plans at all to introduce a Post Code system.

Nobody? :confused:

I think they may be forced to do something about it sooner rather than later, though An Post were complaining about the costs of introducing a system... which struck me as quite illogical.

garydubh

I think they may be forced to do something about it sooner rather than later, though An Post were complaining about the costs of introducing a system... which struck me as quite illogical.

They already have invested heavily in an Optical Character Recognition (OCR) based system and have no need for anything else. Dept. Of Comms is working on a National System but they are now 12 months late with no plan and no money.

In the mean time PON Codes are in place - they work and have been tested by Garmin. We have spent 6 months testing and field trialling with Garmin and have positive feedback from couriers, logistics, web sales orgs and emergency services and at least 35,000 persons have investigated PON codes - so I would not say nobody knows about them!

The point is if you have a PON Code and even without a SatNav anyone can go to the postcodes.ie website and enter the code and see where exactly it is on the map provided - so it can be of value to anyone at no cost!

If you need any further info - just let me know and thanks for your time...

blue4ever

They already have invested heavily in an Optical Character Recognition (OCR) based system and have no need for anything else. Dept. Of Comms is working on a National System but they are now 12 months late with no plan and no money.

In the mean time PON Codes are in place - they work and have been tested by Garmin. We have spent 6 months testing and field trialling with Garmin and have positive feedback from couriers, logistics, web sales orgs and emergency services and at least 35,000 persons have investigated PON codes - so I would not say nobody knows about them!

The point is if you have a PON Code and even without a SatNav anyone can go to the postcodes.ie website and enter the code and see where exactly it is on the map provided - so it can be of value to anyone at no cost!

If you need any further info - just let me know and thanks for your time...

garydubh

I like trying to adapt - honest - but i found that web form a bit, well, trying, - great idea but you could have a look at that form - sit down with someone who is clueless and watch them fill it out. Might get the momnetum you we looking for if more signend up.

C

garydubh

garydubh

I like trying to adapt - honest - but i found that web form a bit, well, trying, - great idea but you could have a look at that form - sit down with someone who is clueless and watch them fill it out. Might get the momnetum you we looking for if more signend up. C

Website was put in place for Beta Testing and a lot will change early in 2009 when we go to full release and wider availability on web and SatNav's is announced. Form entry will be relaxed considerably. Also others can implement in their own websites using any design they wish!

RudieBond

Official Postal code ?

On 15 June, 2006 Minister Noel Dempsey, following from the recommendations of the Working Group report on postcodes, asked the Commission for Communications Regulation (ComReg) to appoint consultants to support the postcode project by providing technical and economic advice including assessing the costs and benefits of the introduction of a postcode. This consultants report was received on 9 Sep 2008 by Minister Eamon Ryan. Maybe this will result finally in an official postal code?

garydubh

On 15 June, 2006 Minister Noel Dempsey, following from the recommendations of the Working Group report on postcodes, asked the Commission for Communications Regulation (ComReg) to appoint consultants to support the postcode project by providing technical and economic advice including assessing the costs and benefits of the introduction of a postcode. This consultants report was received on 9 Sep 2008 by Minister Eamon Ryan. Maybe this will result finally in an official postal code?

This is the 3rd report.......................... and ILP lodged money with Anglo then also - a lot has changed in the world since Sept 2008!

This idea of a PostCode system in Ireland started at Government level in 2003! Whilst all the consultants and experts talked and reported and then re-reported - GPS Ireland has already put in place a working system - PON Codes - since June 2008 and now field tested with Garmin. And it will not cost Euro 15 million to fully implement!

Government has more important things to think about right now - those who need Post Codes are already using PON Codes - time for talking and repeated consultants reports are long since gone!

Byron

There will never be Irish Postcodes, the really simple reason for this is that we don't need them. Locations in Ireland always record their county, town/city/village and road. If you think practically, everything is still going to be sent to the nearest towns sorting office, where one post-person walks around the corner and another drives ten miles.

The infrastructural investment required for such a system would be prohibitive until either more people post, or, the postal system is privatised and the need for two post-people for one job instead of using technology actually is finally acknowledged as illogical. In saying that I did march today! :)

By the way I used IED6W (Ireland then postal area), I think this may happen al right, places may be divided into 20 or 30 different areas, each with an office, not determined by popular. We'll probably never (unless people start multiplying, privatisation or a lack of postal workers in the future) have a totally automated system.

Status
Not open for further replies.