Status
Not open for further replies.

garydubh

There will never be Irish Postcodes, the really simple reason for this is that we don't need them. Locations in Ireland always record their county, town/city/village and road. If you think practically, everything is still going to be sent to the nearest towns sorting office, where one post-person walks around the corner and another drives ten miles.

The infrastructural investment required for such a system would be prohibitive until either more people post, or, the postal system is privatised and the need for two post-people for one job instead of using technology actually is finally acknowledged as illogical. In saying that I did march today! :)

By the way I used IED6W (Ireland then postal area), I think this may happen al right, places may be divided into 20 or 30 different areas, each with an office, not determined by popular. We'll probably never (unless people start multiplying, privatisation or a lack of postal workers in the future) have a totally automated system.

Bad news for you - the postal system will be privatised/liberalised by the end of next year and not everything will be handled by An Post anymore in their sorting offices - in the same way as couriers do it already! Also bad news -there are already post codes in use!!!

Bad luck - your D6W tag is no good to the new entrants who will be delivering your mail from next year onwards. For your info 40% of the Irish population lives in rural areas with ambiguous addresses and these are the majority that will dictate the introduction of Post Codes - I'm afraid you are in the minority in D6W - or is it really D12 ????

Byron

Haha, fortunately my house price is one which HAS dropped by 25% :D

On a serious note, SDS didn't survive, I doubt a private sector company would actually take it on :) - again I still think county divisions might be used, most people wont use them I reckon, my mum still sends letters to banks with "Dublin City" for the city centre, I doubt adoption of postal codes will work, but we'll sit and wait, certainly their broadband rollout (just a little delayed), e-voting and government website accessibility has failed so far :)

garydubh

Haha, fortunately my house price is one which HAS dropped by 25% :D

On a serious note, SDS didn't survive, I doubt a private sector company would actually take it on :) - again I still think county divisions might be used, most people wont use them I reckon, my mum still sends letters to banks with "Dublin City" for the city centre, I doubt adoption of postal codes will work, but we'll sit and wait, certainly their broadband rollout (just a little delayed), e-voting and government website accessibility has failed so far :)

Have you heard of couriers???

Byron

Have you heard of couriers???

Maybe I should use them, I know Dublin 7 post always ends up at the local depot, they have a cardboard box with D7 written on it???

Hmm might try out your site, why does it care if I have off street parking?, My postman cycle's to my house :D

neweb

I know I'm a little late to this conversation but has anyone seen or used irishpostcodes.ie

You can assign a post code to your address. Even Garmin are getting in on the act with them being the first to run this software on there 700 range of SatNavs

As for Ireland not needing postcodes, that’s simply not true. Every country needs postcodes.
I live in Clare Hall on the Malahide Road. You would not believe the amount of people knocking at my door with parcels for XX Temple View. When you ask Temple View what they say they don’t know.
In Clare Hall there's a xx Temple View Avenue, Court, Crescent, Green and so on. About 30 roads in total.

What about the chap on the Kilmore Road Artane when he is looking for the Kylemore Road on the other side of the city.

As for me, when I'm asked for a postcode I always use DUB13 or DUB07
That way the postman still knows where its going.

paddy12

I have used irishpostcodes.ie and seems to be easier than waiting for the PON websites which took me almost an hour!:confused:

neweb

Everyone should put a PON code on every letter they send out.

I don't know what the big deal with the post office is, they can still use the old address system as before as it will still be on the letters.

for example:

Neweb Ireland
19 Kilmore Road
Artane
Dublin 5
MSC 27J7

If we all start doing this then the satnav companies and delivery companies will get used to seeing it on our address.

Status
Not open for further replies.