Status
Not open for further replies.

jol

Hi All

I have been contacted by a client to develop a wordpress website to replace their existing static html site. They know what they want on the site (always nice) and wordpress seems well suited to what they need for the future.

But..... Their current site is hosted on an eircom server which as far as I can guess does not have php mysql support. I'm hoping someone here will tell me that they have managed to set up wordpress by installing php mysql independently in such circumstances. Am I hoping too much?

They only have ftp access to the current site which even though I can connect to the server via ftp won't list the directory contents (because I'm not on eircom broadband perhaps?).

The best situation would be to find a proper hosting company but I'm not sure they want to go down that route (costs and such). Any advice?

Thanks

JOL

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Eircom's hosting doesn't support PHP or MySQL as far as I know

Unless things have changed dramatically it will probably save them money moving to a hosting provider that does ..

(Disclosure - I'm obviously more than a little biased)

Satanta

(Disclosure - I'm obviously more than a little biased)
I'm not, but completely concur with the above.

Eircom do have a variety of hosting packages though, so you'd be better to confirm it without guessing. If it's the common basic package, there's no easy fix and it's an issue on the server side. If it's one of the business packages (I'm not familiar with them, so potentially they might allow it), then I'd suggest that the effort required in changing might still be worth it in terms of performance, customer support and quality of service.

(Do Eircom still lock down FTP access to only Eircom broadband connections? A long time since I had to endure one of their hosting packages)

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
(Do Eircom still lock down FTP access to only Eircom broadband connections? A long time since I had to endure one of their hosting packages)
I thought that was just their email?
But you could be right .. I honestly don't know.
I was poking around their site earlier this evening and couldn't find pricing or details on their hosting plans, though I am pretty sure that they did have the info available at some point in the past ..

Satanta

I thought that was just their email?
I spent an evening looking for an internet cafe with an Eircom connection a few years back to upload some files after hitting this problem, so had to check it was the case or a mate owed me a few more pints ;)

A quick search shows it 'was' the case, but no idea if it still is or not.

Byron

I'm sure you solved this but for anyone in a similar situation, had to change a new client from eircom last month, and saved them 130e per year because eircom didn't have mysql support. Also their support isn't 'dedicated' in the sense their staff have to multi task with broadband support etc.

My conclusion was that they really weren't upto much in the modern idea of hosting

Status
Not open for further replies.