Free CMS plugin for website safety

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexSurly

Hello guys at Irish Webmaster Forum!
Great resource you have here. I'd like to share with you the little tool our team have created called Sur.ly.
It's a new free plugin for WordPress/PhpBB/Drupal/PunBB that can help all the webmasters to neutralize maleficent links posted by spammers (and also avoid different issues related).
This plugin makes all potentially dangerous user-generated links at your website safe for you and your visitors (by replacing them with links to the interstitial pages on Sur.ly).

In fact, use of this plugin entails the following benefits:

1) Safety for your website visitors - maleficent links posted by scammers among user-generated content will be detected and your visitors warned about potential threat (so you won't have to deal with angry parents if their child stumbles upon some adult link from your site's comments section).
2) Security of your website's position in Google - no accidental position penalty by Google due to some improper links posted by spammers.
3) No suspension of your Google AdSense account because of improper links posted by scammers or spambots on your site.
4) With Sur.ly your site would always have good Good safety status from SiteAdvisor.

I really hope that some of you will find sur.ly interesting and decide to give it a try and after that leave your feedback right here. Any questions and/or suggestions are highly appreciated!

More info about Sur.ly you can get in the WordPress.org Plugin Directory, just search for the sur.ly

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
The obvious question for me is why would I want to do anything with spammers' links? Wouldn't it be better to block the spam in the first place?

AlexSurly

Thanks for reply! Well, spammers can be tricky - for example they might not blatantly 'spam' your site with 10+ links in every post, but have some sort of half-wit post with just one link that you for some reason won't check, or they might hide the link in the dot, so that it would be uneasy to see. All in all if you have a highly active forum with a big number of incoming posts or a site created with WordPress with active community and numerous daily comments while there is no pre-moderation due to certain reasons, it can be very hard to check and block each suspicious link in every separate message. Hence you risk to miss some of spam with bad links. Such posts that were not removed in time can cause problems with your own readers (who for sure in time will stumble upon those links) or Google PR or AdSense etc.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Do you have any plans for a Vbulletin plugin?
Also, what's the business model behind this? I assume you're not doing it solely for the good of humanity :)

AlexSurly

We are currently testing the plugin's version for Vbulletin. Regarding business model - believe it or not, we have no specific plans to monetize this project (at least we would like to keep it free forever). It was developed as an answer to our own situation when we have been badly hit by spam in the past. Now our aim is to share this product with other webmasters that may like it as a solution for their needs and obtain more feedback.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Award-winning Mac antivirus and Internet security software