Status
Not open for further replies.

Satanta

Initial reaction, I'm on the fence with a leaning towards disliking elements of the implementation but an overall view (or hope) that it's very positive. In theory it should be a great addition, but there are just a few too many unknowns for the moment for any of us to be sure.

It's going to be very difficult to judge it properly until we see the uptake by users and the impacts it actually has on SERPs. From the outside, it appears as if it's a reincarnation of their old attempts on the back of the FB success of 'liking' (which has introduced a mass userbase to the concept), but instead of it being confined to mindless humour it has a direct benefit to our social circle. However it's a very different tool with a much greater social disconnect at first glance, in reality it's actually a far more beneficial connect, so gaining traction with it is the key. Given the integration with so many of their existing tools, they should manage this without much trouble.

Google's attempts via Buzz (and the resulting FTC issues, ironically announced today), Social Circle, SideWiki, starred results, chrome exclusions and now moving to +1 show a slightly confused and disjointed approach to integrating social signals. Looking through the requirements for someone to be included in my social circle, it's a pretty poor representation of who I actually want to see information on in results so I'm still not sure they've completely nailed it. It's definitely a move in the right direction, but not the final destination yet.

BrianSP

Same.. On another note, this is so open to spam its unreal.. Unless ofcause its only your friends who can see it (no idea how the google friends thingie works).

Satanta

You can opt in here. Will only be available on .com searches though, not on .ie for another while.

The spam issue is a 'potential' one, it really comes down to the implementation. I'd imagine, as David alluded to in his post, that the scoring on this will be very carefully gauged. If the person voting has a 'thin profile' (for want of a better description) then the score associated with their vote can be negligible. If they have a more genuine profile (think about your own google profile, some are amazed by just how much information is in there - from search history to YouTube videos, gmail to docs) and/or connected as part of your network, it could receive a far higher weighting.

M@rc

When I looked for it in the past, I have not seen it. So, basically, I haven't tried it out yet.

But, will try it out soon, although to take advantage of it, I'll have to get much more contacts on my gMail account, that might be interested in my sites.

Because, it'll help my contacts find websites which I recommend by pressing the +1 button, ;)

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Starting to see people adding the button to their sites ..
Does anyone have any stats on how much traffic it's actually driving, if any?

link8r

Not sure - it shows only when you're logged in - so I don't know how to measure that as an effective driver.

Status
Not open for further replies.