Google Analytics Custom Filter - Great For PPC optimisation

Status
Not open for further replies.

gav240z

Hi Everyone,
I applied this filter a few days ago and found it really useful for using Google Adwords and Google Analytics.

It will allow you to see exactly what term matched your keyword you are bidding on in Adwords and as a result you can decide if you need to add negative keywords to your account or perhaps add some keywords you hadn't thought of.

Either way its a great filter for Analytics.

Filters are a little complex, so if you need help with this let me know. I would strongly suggest using a duplicate profile so that you do not loose any of your raw data in Analytics.

Stop Google Analytics From Stealing Your Valuable AdWords Keyword Data | Get Elastic

I have attached a sample of the information you will get once the filter is applied. You can see the adwords keyword following by the actual keyphrase in brackets (actual+terms+here) the + signs just indicate spaces.

Hope you like it.

gav240z

Nobody found this useful?

I thought this was Pay Per Click Gold.

Maybe people don't understand what it does?

If you don't get it, feel free to ask me and I'll try and help explain it better.

gav240z

Actually that worked great! Thanks a million for sharing that.

Great, glad you liked it. I thought it was really useful especially if you use broad match terms.

For example I bid on vintage cars, yet I get some terms matching vintage kids bicycle's.

Obviously I could add a negative term such as -bicycle or -kids.

I know a few other really cool filters for Analytics, will try and put them together.

Fintan

This seems really useful, quick question.

after filter 2 has been created it says

"The following set of results were obtained using an in-line filter to show bid-terms that would be different from the search terms"

How do i do this?!?!?!

gav240z

This seems really useful, quick question.

after filter 2 has been created it says

"The following set of results were obtained using an in-line filter to show bid-terms that would be different from the search terms"

How do i do this?!?!?!

I believe what they mean by inline filter is one that replaces an existing value in reports. In this case it overwrites the existing keyword shown in the keyword report.

So the keyword shoes becomes shoes (red+shoes). I modified the filter ever so slightly to include a comma, so it will be shoes, (red+shoes). Reason I did this is so that when you export the keywords into excel or a csv file you can split the keywords easily and extract your negative terms or add more long tail kw to your adgroup / account etc..

If you follow the above link tutorial, that should be all you need. I strongly advise though that you create a duplicate profile in Google Analytics and use that to apply the filter to.

The reason for this is that filters modify data collected in your account permanently.

Hope that helps.

chinchin

Reports to view custom filters

Hi

I installed the settings as recommended. but my reports dont show the breakdown like u have. should i custom the report or sth? I am really new to this. would appreciate if u could advise. i want a report like yours :)

fizzy

I know most of this thread is quite old, but I just wanted to thank Gav for posting about this filter here.
I am quite new to AdWords and have found it very helpful for identifying negative keywords, much more so than the search query performance report with all its 'other unique queries' carry on! :)
Thanks,
Janine.

gav240z

Hi

I installed the settings as recommended. but my reports dont show the breakdown like u have. should i custom the report or sth? I am really new to this. would appreciate if u could advise. i want a report like yours :)

Did you add the filters to your duplicate profile? Are they in the correct order? Filter order is important in Google Analytics.

You should see this information by going to Traffic Sources -> Keywords report.

gav240z

I know most of this thread is quite old, but I just wanted to thank Gav for posting about this filter here.
I am quite new to AdWords and have found it very helpful for identifying negative keywords, much more so than the search query performance report with all its 'other unique queries' carry on! :)
Thanks,
Janine.

Glad you found it useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.