Google analytics - listing webpage I don't have!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juliana

I just checked my Google analytics and it has 11 pageviews listed for a webpage I don't have and the keywords that got the traffic have nothing to do with my site - my site's an acupuncture practice site and the keywords for the anomolous page all relate to bunjee jumping.
Here is the anomolous page link as directed from Analytics
Any ideas what the **** is going on? Is this some crossover glitch?
I attempted to visit the page that got the traffic but unsuprisingly it doesn't exist! Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

louie

you probably had the folder "locations" at some stage on the website...

jmcc

Sometimes Google has problems handling internal links that are shortened. Check the logs as well as GA. They might have some indication as to the origin of the traffic.

Regards...jmcc

link8r

I saw some very odd keywords and urls on Analytics on a clients site. Was a religious site and the keywords were, lets just say most unusual for a site of this nature. Turned out they'd been hacked and lots of torrents had been uploaded.

As another thought - could it be from another site using the same analytics tracking code (modified to be from another url) that is causing this?

Have you tried checking Google to see what url's are indexed?

Is this path showing up in your webmasters tools?

Juliana

No page is listed in Webmaster tools and its not listed in the stats provided by my hoster - neither are the searches for bunjee....

link8r

I dont suppose I cud a look at the analytics ???

Which search engine are the words coming from ? Google or others?

Another explanation for your "ghost" keywords could be that people have searched for something but then been passed to your site, for some odd reason.

Just another thing - you dont have a custom 404 error page - I'd strongly suggest getting one. Google have a little script you can stick in that lets it remove broken URL's from it's search index. Its a very good resource to have.

We make our 404 pages in the exact same layout as the home page, just substituting the text for "Page not found etc" - the navigation means people can move onto a page they find next most suitable.

Juliana

All the searches came from Google yesterday.
Re. 404. Do I create a regular html page and add the error text? If so, what do I give as the page name to be uploaded in the root folder? I'm using Windows server - I think that matters

addy

I had this issue before like link8r said where people have searched for something but then been passed to your site, for some odd reason.

That was the only explanation i came up with too

louie

you can use the .htaccess file to redirect 404 errors

Code:
ErrorDocument 404 /index.php

or create an index.php inside the folder in question and redirect to the home page.

The first option is best as it takes care of any other weird and non-existent files...

louie

yes you are right there...
In this case there should be an option in the settings for your website to add a custom 404 page...

Juliana

As another thought - could it be from another site using the same analytics tracking code (modified to be from another url) that is causing this?

s?

I contacted the website whose page data I was getting and he repasted his GA code - the problem is resolved.

Status
Not open for further replies.