Google Local Business - Maps Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kieran

I have been trying to add a site to Google Local Business for the past half hour and have had the following problem.

The site I am adding is in Carrigaline and when I put in the address as follows.

1 Main Street (not the address but there is a Main Street and I tested with this address)
Carrigaline
County Cork
And the tried to enter Co. Cork from the drop down

It didn't work for me.

When I left the County Entry blank then it worked fine. But this is crap for ranking for Cork as it leaves the site in Limbo. Any ideas as to why this is happening?

Kieran

link8r

Yeah, it all went fine until I changed it to Cork - then it borked!

I'd say you'd be fine without setting Cork int he county, the geo-target knows carrigalnine is in cork - i set cork as the city and it works

JC-Cork

Problem happening for a few days

This has been a problem for me for the last few days. If you don't select the county it doesn't display well in results. I've sent a note to Google support - will post the response if I get one.

John.

MOH

Is it just new business entries? Or is amending an existing one likely to hit the same problem?

Just tried setting up a test one - valid entries for the category that best describes your business include Swamp, Ravine and Volcano :confused:

JC-Cork

It's a problem with new and also if you try to amend an existing one. Looks like the maps just don't recognise the counties - not just Cork, same problem with at least some of the other counties.

K

Kieran

Thanks for the replies everyone glad that I am not losing my marbles on this one. Interested to see response from Google on this one.

Its because the google map uses a POSTCODE as the key information. As Ireland does not have a national postcode database Google gets rather confused.

It has also included new areas such as Dublin City to help people using the map see where something is.

Status
Not open for further replies.