"Hiding" IP geolocation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

glengara

Was checking a sites' link provenance using DPs' geolocation tool and came across a surprising amount of blank results. If not a problem with the tool I suspect this may be a deliberate ploy by link "arrangers", but how easy would it be to mask that info?

CiaranR

Weeno Ltd + Skimlinks.com
Spoofing your IP is not that easy because if you do TCP/IP communications for you break down.

i.e. you request a webpage with your spoofed IP "hi i'm 192.168.1.1 I'd like this page" they then send that page to 192.168.1.1 you get nada.

From the point of view of a server i'm not sure wouldn't DNS requests fail. Have you tried trace routing the domains to see if the match what you have.

glengara

It's not so much IP "spoofing" as geolocation masking, like having the server go through a proxy/anonimiser/whatever.....

jmcc

Was checking a sites' link provenance using DPs' geolocation tool and came across a surprising amount of blank results. If not a problem with the tool I suspect this may be a deliberate ploy by link "arrangers", but how easy would it be to mask that info?
It depends on the accuracy of the databases used for the IP resolution. Some of these are based on the delegated IP ranges available from RIPE/ARIN etc. These typically provide only the country level resolution and the IP range. However sometimes you can see ranges assigned to EU or AP (I think). These might not show up in country resolution lists as EU is the European Union and AP is often used for Asia-Pacific. You need to dig deeper to the IP whois data to get better granularity. And even then you might find ranges like military/government that are not generally listed.

Regards...jmcc

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
The free databases are pretty useless a lot of the time, as they don't reflect either the real allocations, or as JMCC pointed out, some of the more granular data.

glengara

OK, sounds like a problem with the DP tool database and since this is a Google "thing".......

As part of some testing I was checking the link provenance of a couple of "foreign" sites that are ranking surprisingly well on G.in, both show some Indian links but both also returned an unusual number of blank results.

Thought our friends on the sub-continent might have found an easy way to mask the location of where those links are coming from... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.