How do you explain these search results?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IPAlarms

I have a US based web site that appears towards the top of page 2 when I search from Thailand - which is where I live. I'm not really interested in what results people get when searching from Thailand, so in order to get a more localised idea of my ranking, I log into my VPS in Los Angeles and search using the browser on the local machine.

For the last six months, my site has always appeared on page 2, but when I checked last week it had gone straight to the number one spot - YEE HA !!!

Thinking I had become an SEO expert and that my hard work had paid off after the recent Google algorithm update, I quickly logged into 2 more VPS's that I have access to. Sadly, my site still appears on page 2 :(

So, now I'm confused as to why this is happening. Is it down to the physical location of the computer I am browsing from ?

Does Google localise by State or even by City ?

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Are you sure you're not getting personalised results?

IPAlarms

Well, I'm not sure, but I certainly am not logged into a Google account on that computer. I've probably searched for my keywords "alarm monitoring" once every couple of weeks for the past three months, but I never click on links to my own sites, so I don't think Google could associate me with my site in any way.

It's just strange how it shows in the number one spot, when it appears on page 2 for everyone else I have spoken to.

Status
Not open for further replies.