How to delete category in Wordpress.com completely?

Discussion in 'Google' started by helennguyen3687, Feb 28, 2017.

1. helennguyen3687

helennguyen3687 New Member

Hello guys,
    I have a satellites site on Wordpress.com(WP) with some categories. I did delete some of them, I also replaced the articles by new categories
    and now Google(GG) send me messages about those not found category errors that I deleted.

The question is how to delete category in Wordpress.com completely? Please find attached for more details.
    Could you please help me to troubleshoot that?
    I just hope GG won't index those link anymore.
    Thanks in advance.
    [​IMG]

2. unrealindeed

unrealindeed Administrator Staff Member

Hi helennguyen3687,

How long ago did you make the change?

Google and other search engines need to re-index your website to see the change to the categories/URLs.
    This is an automated process that can take days or maybe week or two.

- You can "Ask Google to recrawl your URLs" via Console (aka Google Google Webmaster Tools) which should speed the process by making them aware of your changes.
    - You can also submit an updated xml sitemap via Google console or if you use an SEO plugin like "Yoast" on your WP site, you can configure it to create a sitemap (which will auto update) and connect it to your Google Console.

3. mneylon

mneylon Administrator Staff Member

When you make "big" changes to a site which leads to an increase in 404 errors it'll get flagged by Google. It's not a problem really - they'll pick up on the changes eventually.

4. Mark Justin

Mark Justin New Member

1. Create a new category to be your new default, if you have not done so already.
    2. Go to Settings > Writing.
    3. Go to Default Post Category.
    4. From the drop down menu, select the category you wish to be the new default.
    5. Click Save Changes