Status
Not open for further replies.

Cormac

They should really expand on some of the award categories instead of just providing lists of names under headings.

For example, what's a legitimate claim for voting for someone in the Internet Entrepreneur category and what exactly does Internet Marketer mean?

It might be obvious to some but a little bit of accompanying text on the category criteria would go a long way in being able to judge who is worthy of your vote.

Redfly

Congratulations Michele. Best of luck in all your categories.

As long as 3V don't win anything (because they don't deserve it) , I've won :)

Redfly

You really don't like them, do you? :)

Nope, I really don't. I know what they did to me was small and not even worth mentioning but for some reason, that sort of thing annoys me.

That's why I love this "new generation" of web folk like the members of this board. Most are willing to listen and to change opinions.

The days of stepping over your mother to meet your target and f**k everyone else to reach it are gone. Just have to wait for that to filter out to the bigger companies.

hosting365

The problem there is that most bigger companies are pretty unaffected by 'niche' groups like those that frequent forums or write blogs (so far...)

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
The problem there is that most bigger companies are pretty unaffected by 'niche' groups like those that frequent forums or write blogs (so far...)
So true

A lot of people in the "industry" still haven't copped on that there are two worlds out there:

their world - web 2.0, social media, blogs etc.,
traditional business - paper invoices, newspapers etc.,

I know it's a gross generalisation, but it's for that very reason that awards like the Golden Spiders are still of some relevance, as they are tied to household names like Eircom

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Nope, I really don't. I know what they did to me was small and not even worth mentioning but for some reason, that sort of thing annoys me.
As I know what happened I'm not in the least bit surprised that you wouldn't be exactly enamoured with them. Personally I'd be furious :)

Busarus

So true

A lot of people in the "industry" still haven't copped on that there are two worlds out there:

their world - web 2.0, social media, blogs etc.,
traditional business - paper invoices, newspapers etc.,

yes, we need to remember that we're all likely "power-users" of the 'net with feed subscriptions, blogs etc but not everyone is...

at my dayjob I may actually be the only person with RSS subscriptions

and on archiseek, in the length of time it has taken to add 200 subscribers to the rss feed, over 1200 have joined the email newsletter - both contain the same content

sometimes web 1.0 is all the people want ;)

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
sometimes web 1.0 is all the people want ;)
As long as they are happy, does it really matter?

It's like when journos ask me about "getting business online". They all expect me to advocate websites for everyone, whereas I'd simply advocate domains + proper email addresses - I honestly don't think websites work for some people / companies (some of the sites we host are truly dire and make quality businesses look cheap and nasty)

Redfly

You see that's the problem. These "niche groups" are the ones who are their customers, the ones who are telling their "larger than offline" social circles about poor service and alternatives. I would conservatively estimate that about 50 people that WOULD have used 3V never even tried it as a result of my complaints and whinging on the likes of facebook and twitter. Online is FAR greater reaching than some people realize.

Status
Not open for further replies.