Irishpets.ie - what do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

irishpets

I have been designing websites for the last few years and now I have launched Irishpets.ie - We love our pets - Home This is a hobby that may actually earn me some money. I am not too technical, my only knowledge about HTML is how to copy and paste it!

The site was launched in May and I have over 7,000 visitors a month and many people love the site. I am looking for a more techinal opinion - good or bad.

Let me know what you think?

Thanks,

Bevin Hoffman :)

irishpets

HTML errors

Thanks for the feedback, as I mentioned I am not very familar with HTML, I use a web building wizard called www.webestore.com I looked at the link you supplied, should I delete all the errors in red from my HTML code to tidy it up?

Forbairt

Teaching / Designing / Developing
my two minute review: (yes it'll be mostly critical things)

Don't get me wrong the site works .. these are just things I think would improve the site.

Your Logo is pixilated ... try taking your original image and saving it as a gif there are only two colours in use there.

I don't like your use of tables all over the site.

I don't like the menu on the left hand side ... it looks very dated to me and you can do a lot nicer stuff with CSS these days than that.

On the main page it feels like there is a lot of information .. it'd be nice to have a listing of these items ... jump to "dog fact of the day"

your search bar on the left has incorrect domainname .. "Search Irispets.ie" it also touches the border which doesn't look right to me ...

Your favicon is actually different to your main logo

I would have assumed your "want to chat" flash animation would be clickable ...

I'm getting an empty blue flash animation thats doing nothing further down the site.

The buttons / icons on the site don't have a uniform feel to them ..

Sent this site to a friend is different from the other buttons "search" and so on ...

Forbairt

Thanks for the feedback, as I mentioned I am not very familar with HTML, I use a web building wizard called www.webestore.com I looked at the link you supplied, should I delete all the errors in red from my HTML code to tidy it up?

Hmm... a lot of warnings are given for your code ... this could be the fault of webestore ...

you've got multiple heads and so on in your document .. no doctype declared .. and so on ..

Fixing the errors won't hurt :)

irishpets

Irishpets.ie - font

Hi, I have made a few changes but as I use web building software I cannot tidy up the code as highlighted. One change I am unsure about is my font size, I am using ariel 11 but is this too large.

Any comments welcome.

Regards,

Bevin

egerbil.com

I think your website is full of stolen articles, 6 of them from my site! I think you're hot linking images as well. You've got a bit of a nerve asking for a review of a site that is full of stolen articles and hot linked images.

egerbil.com

Forbairt

I think your website is full of stolen articles, 6 of them from my site! I think you're hot linking images as well. You've got a bit of a nerve asking for a review of a site that is full of stolen articles and hot linked images.

egerbil.com

can you link to the articles in question in both cases ?

egerbil.com

No problem, some of my pages have been slightly updated since, but it is still very clear the content has been lifted. The images I removed from the domain they were being hot linked from so you will see blanks where the images should be.

IrishPets.ie - We love our pets - Gerbil Health Check is taken from Gerbil First Aid Kit this page has been updated since.

IrishPets.ie - We love our pets - Gerbil Behaviour is taken from Gerbil Behaviour

IrishPets.ie - We love our pets - Gerbil Eyesight is taken from Gerbil Eyesight

IrishPets.ie - We love our pets - Cannibalism is taken from Cannibalism in small animals

IrishPets.ie - We love our pets - The staple diet of the domestic Gerbil is taken from Mongolian Gerbil Domestic Diet, gerbil food

IrishPets.ie - We love our pets - Choosing a healthy Gerbil is taken from Choosing a healthy Gerbil or Jird this page has been updated since it was lifted, but trust me what he/she has taken was the previous version.

Spotted another....

IrishPets.ie - We love our pets - Rock Gerbil is taken from Gerbillus campestris - Rock Gerbil again this page has been updated.

I also know from just looking at the other pages, articles and photos, that they too have been lifted from sites I am familiar with.

egerbil.com

Edit: all but one of the pages have no been removed from the site, hurray!

uke

Can I request here, publicly, that the link to the PetsIreland board please be removed from this site ?

We've contacted you and requested this, we've added code to our board to prevent it opening in an IrishPets window (which you seem to have since gotten around somehow) and yet you ignore us. You've linked to our board in such a way that people browsing your site think we are part of it. We are not. We do not want this:

IrishPets.ie - We love our pets - Pets Ireland home

We do not want to be affiliated to Irishpets. Please remove our board from your site.

Thanks,
Hazel
coAdmin of PetsIreland

PETS IRELAND (Powered by Invision Power Board)

Forbairt

No problem, some of my pages have been slightly updated since, but it is still very clear the content has been lifted. The images I removed from the domain they were being hot linked from so you will see blanks where the images should be.

Sorry wasn't meaning to be smart either when I asked ... just I'm seeing a fair few people on some boards saying X is crap ... X is a thief and so on ... so I just wondered. By them removing the offending articles I'll assume they just lifted them from your site. Also I wouldn't mind hearing their response on here to it .. as I assume they are still getting the emails from this thread.

Forbairt

Can I request here, publicly, that the link to the PetsIreland board please be removed from this site ?

We've contacted you and requested this, we've added code to our board to prevent it opening in an IrishPets window (which you seem to have since gotten around somehow) and yet you ignore us. You've linked to our board in such a way that people browsing your site think we are part of it. We are not. We do not want this:

IrishPets.ie - We love our pets - Pets Ireland home

We do not want to be affiliated to Irishpets. Please remove our board from your site.

Thanks,
Hazel
coAdmin of PetsIreland

PETS IRELAND (Powered by Invision Power Board)

Ouch .. the plot thickens and it just gets worse and worse :(

uke

dear oh dear.... try to add
Code:
<script language="javascript" type="text/javascript">
<!--
if (top != self)  
top.location=self.document.location;  
-->
</script>
to your page, above the end of the header i.e. the </HEAD> tag.

Thanks, we did have that but it doesn't seem to be doing the job anymore.

paul

Ninja
Thanks, we did have that but it doesn't seem to be doing the job anymore.
I don't see it on your site now. (i.e. I viewed the source of your pages and didn't find such a javascript) If you want me to have a look, PM me details to your admin panel.

Forbairt

I don't see it on your site now. (i.e. I viewed the source of your pages and didn't find such a javascript) If you want me to have a look, PM me details to your admin panel.

Didn't see it there either I'm afraid to say. Someone modify your template since then ?

egerbil.com

Also I wouldn't mind hearing their response on here to it .. as I assume they are still getting the emails from this thread.

I would also like to here their response to this.

Gotta smile at their earlier post tho...

my only knowledge about HTML is how to copy and paste it!

No kidding :D

Status
Not open for further replies.