Is €0.02 max cost per click enough to run an Adwords campaign?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alerner

I have a client who gets €0.04 revenue per click at his website, purely through non-paid organic SEO.

Is this enough to run a PPC campaign, say paying a maximum of €0.02 cost per click? Can you execute an Adwords campaign with that low a maximum cost per click?

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
It sounds incredibly low - I'm not sure if they'd let you, but I'll let someone else confirm that

MOH

It depends on the keywords you're bidding on. I'd say you'd need a very high quality score, with a landing page very relevant to the keywords,

You could try setting up ads with a maximum CPC of 2 cents, see if they get displayed.

Or you might be better starting off with a higher max CPC to get the ads shown, and hope a good click through rate improves your quality score and drives your CPC down, then you can reduce your max CPC.

Shaneod21

Yes definitely. This is something I have spent quite a while doing. Sometimes manage to get 1c a click. However my method is based on the content network with 10,000 keywords using banners in every size. It works and the traffic is cheap. Adds to my daily seo traffic and once its set up it runs on autopilot.

It will also depend on what niche your in. If its competitive, you will be looking at 5c a click but thats far better than paying €5 per click. The traffic converts. If your just targeting irish visitors I wouldn't bother!

The above comment nailed it, you need to set up max click at 0.02c but start a little higher to drive impressions. Its all about testing!

Redfly

While yes, it is possible (and the content network CPM or Image ads as mentioned is probably the best route to take) I think you need to take a step back.

Why not look at YOUR SITE (or clients site). It is a LOT easier to increase the RPC than to scoop up the dregs of content network.

Use Google website optimizer and increase the conversion rate or RPC by a few hundred percent then you can bid much higher and get much more traffic.

Oh, and FYI, a lot of those cheap clicks are cheap for a reason. Don't be surprised if you're paying 2 cent a click and your RPC decreases. Have you considered that?

Alerner

Thanks for all the responses.

@Redfly, yes, I appreciate that there may be lots more to do to improve the conversion rates. However, it’s a young site about 9 months old and I think there is a lot more “market share" to be had– i.e. clicks to win. The reason for this: 75% of the traffic comes from 6 keywords, so only 25% is coming from long tail keywords. Should this in fact be the reverse?

@Redfly, yes, I agree, the conversion rates for the PPC traffic will be a lot lower than the SEO traffic. We’d be more than happy to breakeven on the PCC campaign in order to build traffic to the site.

@Shaneod21, thanks for the feedback re. content sites. I’ve run Adwords campaigns before but I have not used the content option. 10,000’s of keywords? - I’d better read Redfly’s blog entry on setting up an Adwords campaign properly from scratch.

Thanks all for the tip re. paying more at first to boost quality score. I had not picked up on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.