Just a random question,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joseph Grogan

This is just a stupid question i use to ask people and see what there answers were, so said i would ask all you it

"If you dig a hole straight from one point of the earth directly through to the other side and drop a stone into it would the stone go the whole way through, or what would happen"

Let me know you thoughts :)

louie

realistically speaking both things are impossible to achieve.

Cormac

imo...

The stone would never come out of the hole because the Earth spins too quickly for the stone to gather enough momentum to go the whole way through to the other site. It would be caught in an infinite loop.

jennyrusks

It would take several years for the stone to get planning permission to dig the hole. By then it may have lost interest in the journey.

chandu

by the time we digg the hole in the earth, we won't be alive, coz it would take hundreds of years....and how come you come up with such a question.....lolz..so weird but funny

Joseph Grogan

Dont know

Dont know where i got it. But its a question that if we can dig it and it is done what would happen with the stone. Fly through the other side or stay in the middle.

If all the other things were not a question and that the stone could survive the intense heat, it would just get cought in the middle of the earth due to the gravity in the centre of the earth

niall

"If you dig a hole straight from one point of the earth directly through to the other side and drop a stone into it would the stone go the whole way through, or what would happen"

This one is fun :) My physics is rusty, but who's to say gravity will be as strong as you go down further? When we're standing on the crust of the planet, we have the WHOLE planet's mass directly beneath us pulling us down. When the stone is at the core (presuming it could be done) there is equal mass to all sides. Would this mean less or no gravity?

Then there is momentum. Will the speed that the stone picked up on the way down give it enough momentum on the way back up to keep it going all the way?

More than likely there is someone doing this as a PHD somewhere in order to stay a student that few years more :)

Niall.

Joseph Grogan

It is

Gravity is more dense as you get close to the centre of objects. Black hole for example are like a ball of gravity. Always pulling in from all directions. And if you get to a certain distance you actually cant get out. Light cant even excape them.

So that stands to reason that on all objects that has a gravitational pull has a stronger one at the centre. Thats what made them planets when they were only star dust. gravity pulled them to a centre point over thousands of years thus forming the planets. And if there was no gravity we would have no athmosphere cause gases would not be able to stay around the earth.

So it would get stuck in the middle. In my opinion:D

paul

Ninja
I think the stone would melt. Remember the core of the earth is made from magma (molten lava). This is providing you could actually make such a hole.

Joseph Grogan

its hypotical

its hypotical.... If you could dig a hole and the stone could resist the heat what would happen. Fly through or get stuck in the middle

niall

its hypotical.... If you could dig a hole and the stone could resist the heat what would happen. Fly through or get stuck in the middle

Start digging and find out!! Be sure to let us know how you get on :) If you get onto the maker of "The Core" they might be able to help!

ConorP

I've seen this done in a web applet before (gotta find it now)

Select on a Google map where to dig and it will show you where you will end up if you dig straight down.

My back garden ends up somewhere off the coast of NZ/Australia iirc.

EDIT: Here it is and I end up off the southern coast of NZ

grandad

My tuppence worth...

Presumably, it would fall trough the centre and continue to the other side, whereupon it would reverse, like a pendulum. Eventually, it would come to a halt in the middle. However, would it then crush under the gravity [as it's at the centre of gravity there], or would it explode under the gravitational pull of the planet around it?

Status
Not open for further replies.