Laptop wont charge

Status
Not open for further replies.

wheres me jumpa

Ive noticed that when my laptop battery completely runs out, after say being left on all night, it wont charge again. This is the second time it happened. First time, it just started charging again after a few hours of playing around with it.

This time it has not charged for two days. Ive tried a new cable, new socket etc. Damn thing just wont charge. Is this common?

Toshiba laptop btw.

Forbairt

Teaching / Designing / Developing
still under warranty I assume ... get it sorted out with them .. ? It doesn't really sound common and I wouldn't go playing with it so send it back .. might take a few days to a week or two to get it back though :(

I ended up getting a cheapish dell and didn't sort out the 1 line dead on the screen ... when it happened after 2 months only to remember shortly after I'd only paid the 90 days of warranty .. very ****ed about that ...

wheres me jumpa

Bought it from laptopsdirect.ie, think it shipped from UK. Its been fine otherwise but the two times the charge is completely gone it wont come back.

//goes off to check warranty!

Forbairt

Teaching / Designing / Developing
Bought it from laptopsdirect.ie, think it shipped from UK. Its been fine otherwise but the two times the charge is completely gone it wont come back.

//goes off to check warranty!

Well as I said it doesn't really sound common ... so I'd ring them up and ask them. You've googled the model number as well for charging battery issues as well I assume ?

Gavin

I hate laptops due to this. I'll only connect the battery if I'm nowhere a wall socket.

Do you have the option to calibrate the battery? You might find it in the power options with in the control panel or with Toshiba's own software. Keep in mind that not laptops have that option though.

I'd guess support would say drain the battery completely, charge fully and test without the power cable connected. Let me guess, you've done that already?

Tom

This happened to my old laptop which was a compaq. One day the battery just wouldn't charge then about a year later after using mains only it started working fine again. Really strange.

EdenWeb

It's quite common apparently. Same thng happened my MacBook a few months ago. They say you shouldn't let your laptop batery ever drain down to % and never leave the laptop on sleep or hibernate whre there's a cance the battery will drain down 100%.

Th only other thing I can think of (assuming it's not working with the powerlead) is that the CMOS battery has died in the motherboard. It's a small flat battery about the size of a 2 Euro coin that holds some boot up and system info prior to the BIOS kicking in.

Sounds lie you're within warranty anywa...hope you get sorted.

wheres me jumpa

Huzzah!

Gave the battery a two second charge in my brothers laptop and popped it back into mine and it worked. The laptop was set to sleep so when the battery went back in, it came tolife straight away.

So still not sure whether this is a power setting issue or battery issue, but jumpa is back!

Thanks all

Gavin

Power settings maybe? You might want to set the power settings to always on and disable hibernation. Not really ideal for a laptop.

I'd keep an eye on it anyway, could be a laptop issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.