Status
Not open for further replies.

adrian5750

HI Folks
Apologies if this is the wrong place to post this - if it needs to be moved to a different section please feel free....

Anyway - don't you just love being spammed by people who've harvested email addresses at random, and are trying to sell you stuff that you don;t want or need ?

Even better when the spammers are themselves web-design companies - like the communication I had today from the Cork-based Dragnet Systems.

"Dear Business Owner,
>
> I am pleased to attach some information relating to our company.
>
> We have been providing web design and development services throughout
> Ireland and the U.K. for over 10 years ..."

and so on. I replied to the effect that I'd been in web design longer than they had - and gave them a list of my own & my clients domains - inviting them not to spam these domains also....

Amazingly - this reply came back....

=====================================================

Hi Adrian,
Thanks for your mail. Please note that the email you received was a
legitimate business to business information
communication, not classified as spam under EU regulations.
=======================================================

Can this be true? Has somebody passed a law that says 'b2b spam is perfectly fine & OK', while I wasn't looking ..?

I'd hate to think I'd accused these nice people of being spammers if they're actually innocent - somebody please put me straight <g>

Thanks
Adrian

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Adrian

Legally speaking a company can send an email to any other company, however you can tell them to remove you from their list and they shouldn't email you ever again

That's the legal side of it

The practical side of it is that the law is weak

If a company is sending unsolicited emails they are spamming.

Michele

adrian5750

HI Michele

Adrian

Legally speaking a company can send an email to any other company, however you can tell them to remove you from their list and they shouldn't email you ever again

That's the legal side of it

The practical side of it is that the law is weak

If a company is sending unsolicited emails they are spamming.

Michele

Thanks for the reply....
That's kind of how I saw it in my simple way - and I maybe half-expected a 'sorry - we'll not bother you again' - rather than "s*d you - it's not spam!" which is what Dragnet Systems seem to be saying...

Perhaps my pointing out that two of the four portfolio sites they included in their spam had 'image only' home pages upset them - do you think ??

All joking aside - I think their attitude stinks !

Adrian

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Well the basic way I view it is like this:

Any client of ours (current or past) has (or had) a business relationship with us, so we are entitled to email them. They are entitled to ask to be removed from the mailing list(s) and as long as we respect those requests I don't see there being any issue.

I get a LOT of inane marketing / sales emails to my spam traps on a regular basis and will happily report them to:

Spammers are, for the most part, lazy marketers :)

Status
Not open for further replies.