Link on client's site

Status
Not open for further replies.

jennyrusks

Hello all

Just wonder if many of you put a link back to your own business on the client's website when you have done the design or development?

Do clients ever take issue with it?

all the best

Jennifer

Forbairt

Teaching / Designing / Developing
I try to add a link from as many of my clients sites as possible. Its good publicity for me and my clients normally don't mind.

I've got a number of clients that don't want it though as well as don't want me mentioning I'm doing work for them. Fine by me so long as they pay me on time.

There will be a number of people who say that it looks unprofessional to include a link back to your own site, to a certain extent I've got to agree. Unfortunately word of mouth / these links mean a number of people contact me looking for work and given the state of my own work sites :D and lack of time I've devoted to seo on them I'm willing to have it look slightly unprofessional so long as my clients are ok with it.

louie

I am OK with it as well, as long as the customer has no problem with it, but there are cases where I prefer not to have a link to my website...

Busarus

I've been on both sides - and I have no problem as a client with it - and like to do it when I build a site. It's a small recognition.

jennyrusks

Hi guys

Thanks for all your replies. I asked because I've had two small "incidents" recently with people either changing the link or removing the link after I had completed the job. In one case, the link was put back the way I had put it after I requested it - case solved, but in the other the person just removed it. I have to admit in both cases I felt quite miffed. It's not just ego on part, I put a lot of work into this stuff and put a tiny link in down the bottom to validate that yes, I made this. I suppose really for potential clients who may like a site and wonder who made it. It does seem like fairly common practice on the web.

I'm just wondering if I should put it in the contract?

thanks again

Forbairt

I normally ask if I'm allowed to add a link up front .. I've never put it into a contract though.

If they say no .. well then they get a **** site :p (joke)

Forbairt

... I've had two small "incidents" recently with people either changing the link or removing the link after I had completed the job...

When you say changing the link do you mean they were giving credit to the site to someone else ?

jennyrusks

When you say changing the link do you mean they were giving credit to the site to someone else ?
Yes. Themselves!

That's why I was miffed. In fairness, they did change it back when I asked them, but I was very surprised to see it happen in the first place.

TheMenace

I will generally put the link there by default but I have no problem removing it if the clients asks me to. It's good publicity and the linkback doesn't hurt I'm sure.

If a client updates a site and makes a dog's dinner of it, I'll usually ask (nicely of course) for my link to be removed... or I'll do it myself if I have access to the site.

I don't think it's unprofessional to do so at all - as long as the link is subtle.

Forbairt

I agree it has to be subtle ...

:D

Spiralli

I normally put in a link, and will sometimes link back from our portfolio page too.

Re somebody changing the site to say they designed it, that seems wrong. My policy is that the design is owned by the client once the site is handed over and paid for. I would have a problem with them stating that they designed it though.

jennyrusks

Thanks Ken, Spiralli and Mickey,

Seems like it's pretty much the norm, then. I think in future I'll just mention to the client at the start of the project that I would like to include a very small link in the footer of the page and take it from there.

thanks again everyone for your replies.

Dotwebs

I usually ask the client just as the site goes live. Nobody has ever said 'no'. Sometimes clients will offer if I haven't mentioned it first, but I wouldn't suggest doing it without asking first.

Status
Not open for further replies.