Local Development Environment

Status
Not open for further replies.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
What kind of development environment to you use when working on a project?

Do you do full testing and deployment on a local testing server (or even desktop installed version) or do you rely on a remote server?

louie

if you have access to a remote server, like a hosting company, then that will be your best option, otherwise your local computer is perfect.

The reason a remote computer is better is that sometimes their settings aren't the same as your local one , so when you run updates to the database, especially date/time fields you start getting errors.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
But surely you would have more control to test locally?
Wouldn't it be more secure testing your code?

SlitheryImp

blacknight said:

Exactly, I test my code locally first (IIS, Asp.net 2, Access and SQL Server). I have a drive set up exactly as the one my host has so all the database paths (for Access) are the same. I test as much as I can locally before putting it live.

But then I don't have total control of the remote server, sometimes things go eerily wrong, and I'm pulling my hair out trying to get the site live again as quickly as possible...:confused:

louie

blacknight said:

As all my pages are .asp, i don't see why I should worry about security. It's easier to get to the problem on the server at design time, when there is less code to check, while if anything goes wrong after the site is finished, you have so much code to look at to eliminate the rpoblem if any.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
louie said:
As all my pages are .asp, i don't see why I should worry about security.

So if you were working on an e-commerce site you wouldn't care about security?

louie

blacknight said:
So if you were working on an e-commerce site you wouldn't care about security?
At the design time, no not really cause it won't be live. 90% of the time i write the security function first then connection to the database, then use them as I go through the code.

Status
Not open for further replies.