Status
Not open for further replies.

Cormac

I'm wondering if the urls of media files such as movies and mp3s can have an effect on ranking in search engines. Do search engines spider mp3s and movie files at all?

Does a mp3 with the file name webiste.com/mp3/Joy-Divison-Love-Will-Tear-Us-Apart.mp3 rank over a mp3 called website.com/mp3/jdapart.mp3???

Gavin

I do know that the use of PDF files can rank well within Google and I recently read that one of their patents was for detecting & ranking different files (for the life of me I cant the link to the story).

For now I'll guess they do detect different media type, I know that Yahoo does it with videos and one example of Yahoo and Google would be their image search.

Personally I would use the keyword-keyword.mp3 layout because not only does it look clean for the user but I would suspect Google is going to get smarter on detecting files type (or at least try). This would save you in the future of having to rename any of your files.

Thats just my personal opinion though :eek:

Cormac

i'm labelling all my files with content rich descriptions...i was just curious to see if media is indexed in that kind of way. Surprised google don't have a dedicated rich media search

Gavin

I am surpised that they dont have it as well but who knows maybe that have something up their sleave, that side of the market has a lot of potential. Sure look at Yahoo Music thats seems to be very popular.

I'll dig around for that article tomorrow and will post it here if I find it.

Status
Not open for further replies.