Status
Not open for further replies.

bober

Hi,

I need some clarification with regards to meta data information.

Is this this correct?

Meta Title - For each page I should have a DIFFERENT title eg: Mywebsite - keyword, keyword, keyword etc

OR

Should I used the same title through out the website?

Is this correct?

Meta Keywords - For each page - should I have a different set of keywords (they will be related to the content).

Or

Same set of keywords through out the website on each page (but slight variations & relating to content).

Advise would be greatly appreciated as I would like to get this correct first time round.

Thank you in advance.

link8r

Meta Title - For each page I should have a DIFFERENT title eg: Mywebsite - keyword, keyword, keyword etc

Correct - you should have a different Page Title and Page Description. Just to note that the Meta Description is important for the snippet in Google results, not for ranking or relevance. Google Webmasters lists duplicate Titles and Descriptions under its HTML Suggestions link as a warning.

Should I used the same title through out the website? Is this correct?

For Google: They advise that each page has a separate Title and Description.

For example:

• Bober's site - Just who is Bober?
  • About Bober - the person behind the name
  • Contact Bober - we want to hear from you
  • Sitemap - Bober's site overview

Meta Keywords - For each page - should I have a different set of keywords (they will be related to the content).
Or -
Same set of keywords through out the website on each page (but slight variations & relating to content).

Google doesn't parse a page for a keywords tag per se, but your keywords would be treated as part of the page. The issue here is if this cluster of keywords matches the search string, it could cause the Description to be replaced or concatenated.

Bing: suggests that you only use two keywords per page.

Yahoo: God knows, - they do such a bad job with indexing Irish sites and Geo targeting IMHO - so I don't really treat them any differently

White_wd

I think you can get more answers about meta tags and all of your SEO questions by reading this SEO article, part of a big SEO tutorial. The entire tutorial is not finished yet, but you can start with first 3 parts. I'll do everythink to finish this tutorial (12 parts) soon, but because I'm not Irish and I work with a translator, this process is slow :)

White_wd

I agree with you @link8r, but this tutorial is about SEO, not just about Google. Of course, Google is main search engine, but you can achieve results from other search engines what are using meta keywords.

link8r

Well Bing suggests you use a maximum of 2 keywords per page - so if its a "global" view of search engines then shouldn't it reveal that? Afterall Bing, Yahoo and Google make up about 90% of searches (on average)

savantcreative

Hi,

I need some clarification with regards to meta data information.

Is this this correct?

OR

Should I used the same title through out the website?

Is this correct?

Or

Advise would be greatly appreciated as I would like to get this correct first time round.

Thank you in advance.
No. Every page should be unique. This is very important!

cools

Always define Different "Title" and "Description" for Meta tags for each webpage... same "title" and "description" will give a negative effect in indexing of webpages in different search engines ....

pfurey101

@White_wd

You discuss using Keywords - but Google doesn't respect the Keywords meta tag?

Dont get confused!

Where Google does not pay much attention to the META KEYWORD TAG - you have to have the correct keywords/phrases optimised within your site? How will anyone organically find your site in a SERP without your keyphrases!!!

As for the page title - put your company/brand about 60 characters to the RIGHT. Google reads left to right (clever!) and places more emphasis from L to R.

link8r

Where Google does not pay much attention to the META KEYWORD TAG -

Doesn't it? Do you know for sure?

you have to have the correct keywords/phrases optimised within your site? How will anyone organically find your site in a SERP without your keyphrases!!

Talking about trying not get confused - can we not use the adopted definition of SERP as the position of a site in a search engine? This suggests a SERP is a set of results?

As for the page title - put your company/brand about 60 characters to the RIGHT. Google reads left to right (clever!) and places more emphasis from L to R.

Where do you get this from?

SupNY

The first 4 words of any title should be keyword optimized, and you want varying titles for each page, don't worry about pages lie contact us, terms and conditions etc, your not wanting people to land on them pages so keywording them is irrelevant.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Personally I'd focus on page titles and descriptions.

Though, having said that, some pages still seem to rank really well due to other factors even when they don't have meaningful anything

SupNY

Dont get confused!

Where Google does not pay much attention to the META KEYWORD TAG - you have to have the correct keywords/phrases optimised within your site? How will anyone organically find your site in a SERP without your keyphrases!!!

Thats good info is that, thanks I never thought about the keyword tag in that sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.