Status
Not open for further replies.

dude

The domains aren't locked and they have been around for a few years...

Waiting over a week now.

hosting365

Have you faxed in the transfer authorisation (either to namesco or directly to the IEDR?)

Transfers only take hours these days, once all the appropriate steps have been taken...

Solyad

Great to hear Namesco are still closing tickets without asking if they can be closed or if theres anything else they can help you with :rolleyes:

This is one of the most annoying things about the new owners. Cust service is dreadful.

Reason i dipped back into the forum today was to try find out where the easy apps went since I wanted to try one out for something.

So they removed them without even an email to customers? Nice...

Similarly a colleague tried to register a domain with them and the payment processor failed. 2 days later still waiting for support to reply. I miss Hosting365...

neweb

Namesco have proven day after day that the Irish market is totally irrelevant to them.

We are not even important enough to be informed when they are taking away services we are paying for.

johned

MySQL said:
#5 - Out of memory (Needed 6710600 bytes)

Thats what i get when i log in to phpmyadmin with namesco today and my dbs are down. Anyone else got the same prob or is it just mine.

niall

MySQL said:
#5 - Out of memory (Needed 6710600 bytes)

That looks like PHP's memory_limit setting has been set too low rather than an issue with the MySQL server. It's possible that the setting has been lowered system wide. One thing to try is to put to create a php file with:

<?php
print "Current memory limit: ".ini_get('memory_limit');
print "<br/>";
ini_set('memory_limit','32M');
print "New memory limit:".ini_get('memory_limit');
?>
If you're in luck, this will allow you to use more memory for your php scripts.

johned

It went back to normal after a few hours. Never got a response from my support ticket though.

When I get a bit of time over the weekend im just going to dump it and move home. I have several sites that might be moving with it too if I have any more issues/ unanswered tickets.

adrian5750

HI All

I understand Stephen's frustration - I guess customers of his ex-company are hassling him because they're unhappy with the way that Namesco/Reg365 is heading......

Anyway - anybody else hosted with namesco having funnies sending email at the moment ? For the last couple of days, hitting 'send' in Thunderbird results in a 'sending........' box that sits there for anything from 30 seconds to a minute before the smtp server condecends to actually accept the message.

It's just irritating from my point of view - but one of our 'guestbook' scripts also sends various emails - and I suspect that the delay in actually sending the mail is causing folks to 'click again' - as we're getting a number of 'double entries' on a particular site.

Anybody else having trouble with their email ?

(I send a ticket last night.... still waiting.......)

We also had an odd one last week where somebody filling in the guestbook got redirected to a .php page with an 'eternal redirect' on it - neve seen that before - could it be related to the incidents further up this thread about php ?

Bit sneaky taking the easyapps off the accounts - time to move hosts, i think ...

Adrian
BringBacktheSwanseaCorkFerry Campaign

Jabberwocky

My guessing on the situation is this: They close the tickets so quickly because their support staff are rated on number of tickets closed, not number of issues resolved. This is fairly common practise and usually means some team leader or middle manager somewhere is gaming the system, so its probably unfair to point the finger at the front line support staff.

I was willing to give them a go, I have been with hosting and register365 since the early days, years ago, but the ongoing support and problems are a serious issue.

Not as serious as the drastic increase in prices however, and this for me is the straw that breaks the camel's back. You have .coms jacked up by an immense amount, .eus double the price you can get them elsewhere, and .ie names aren't the best either.

This is clearly company policy to turn a poorly performing division (as was sold by Hosting 365) into a star moneymaker. No doubt this is what was envisioned by the new owners when they made the purchase. Maybe they thought they could milk the paddies for everythig they were worth, maybe it was just a clinical business maneuver, I neither know nor care.

Sadly it betrays a tragic lack of understanding of the market - most webmasters view hosting and domain costs as a cost centre, and rightly so, you don't get a higher quality .com from somewhere for a higher price. One for €6 is just as good as one for €8. So naturally people are going to gravitate to the lowest cost in this case.

I'll be the first to admit I'm not the biggest of customers, but from a start of a humble three websites all the way back when, I now speak for hundreds of businesses, and growing every year, so I like to think my custom has value.

After years of working with the company, through ups and downs, I'm out.

It will be expensive and extremely inconvenient to shuttle names elsewhere, but enough is enough. I'm away to blacknight to give them a whirl, and we'll see how it works out. I've already started to move my domains and sites. If my experience with them is decent, I'll stick with them with the same loyalty I originally gave to 365, if not I'll move elsewhere.

hosting365

To be fair jabberwocky, Register365 was already a star performing division :) As far as namesco's plans, they are currently deploying their own platform, and while I can't comment too much, they will be offering by far the most reliable, scalable, feature rich and technically advanced hosting platforms in Ireland when online.

They are also multi-award winning for their support and customer services - Latest News: Domain Names, Hosting, Dedicated Server Solutions and Broadband ADSL, Namesco Limited - being one just recent example. Once on their own, familiar platform, I would expect things to stabilise well.

adrian5750

HI Hosting365

To be fair jabberwocky, Register365 was already a star performing division :) As far as namesco's plans, they are currently deploying their own platform, and while I can't comment too much, they will be offering by far the most reliable, scalable, feature rich and technically advanced hosting platforms in Ireland when online.

They are also multi-award winning for their support and customer services - Latest News: Domain Names, Hosting, Dedicated Server Solutions and Broadband ADSL, Namesco Limited - being one just recent example. Once on their own, familiar platform, I would expect things to stabilise well.

I understand your wanting to defend / support Namesco - but your comments are always the same - basically 'Jam tomorrow'.

Since the sale to Namesco my experience is that customer service (both in terms of response time and in 'usefulness' of replies has deteriorated considerably, they managed to screw up / lose three simple domain registration / transfer operations, the Control Panel seems to be running slower, prices have gone up, and now, to cap it all, emails are taking ages to get accepted by the smtp server, which seems to be causing me website problems with a 'guestbook'-type application.

I know it's only another tiny thing - but the Easyapps have disappeared - and email from support claims that
"The EasyApps option has been disabled in the H-Sphere control panel because the scripts that are available are now out-of-date, and installing them on the web servers would now represent a security risk." Which sounds to me like another case of 'can't be bothered' - which seems symptomatic of the new regime.

How much longer should ex-365 customers wait before it starts to 'stablilse well' ?

Myself - I can't just sit around and hope
- I can see which way the trend is going, and see no signs of improvement...

What a shame - when it used to be so good....

Adrian

hosting365

As I've said, and keep saying, it's only been 12 weeks since the transition began, and once on their platform, things will be much simpler.

To be honest, there's little point maintaining things like easyapps, when customers will be getting migrated to an all new system in a matter of a few more weeks.

I'm not here to defend namesco either, simply to ask that you bear with the transition, as the end result will be worth it.

johned

I'm not here to defend namesco either, simply to ask that you bear with the transition, as the end result will be worth it.

Well im not bearing with them anyway. Im also going to start moving over to a blacknight vps in the next week or so.

Its not a case of transition more of completely crap customer services who do not answer tickets and cant be arsed picking up the phone half the time either.

Jabberwocky

To be fair jabberwocky, Register365 was already a star performing division :)
Hmm. Why do I seem to recall comments at the time that it was being sold so that more focus could be given to the much more profitable dedicated server section, something about razor-thin margins? Yes, there was a discussion on boards, I might have a look for it later.

As far as namesco's plans, they are currently deploying their own platform, and while I can't comment too much, they will be offering by far the most reliable, scalable, feature rich and technically advanced hosting platforms in Ireland when online.
Well first of all I wasn't complaining about their hosting package, which isn't bad at all as it stands. That being the case, why would I care if its going to get better, I'm happy enough with it. I and most webmasters spend vastly more on domains than on hosting - one package for €120 will host 50 sites, or €300 worth of domains. If that €300 just jumped to €500 for exactly zero good reason, I'm out of here.

They are also multi-award winning for their support and customer services - Latest News: Domain Names, Hosting, Dedicated Server Solutions and Broadband ADSL, Namesco Limited - being one just recent example.
Heh. The linked article merely says they are award nominated, not award winning. Besides which, awards on the internet are a dime a dozen, I've made up a few myself in my time.

Whats that saying, my patience is infinite, my time is not? Customers are quite as capable of clinical business decisions and acting like bean counters as corporate entities.

So eh, no.

adrian5750

Hi All

It's all very well quoting how many awards Namesco has won in the past - but what really matters to ex-Register365 clients is their _current_ performance.
The awards (and nominations!) all relate to their UK operation of course
- I haven't seen them nominated for their excellence on the last 12 weeks of the Register365 operation!

(And - on the 12-week thing - surely any proper business would do a bit of homework before the actual takeover day? Most of the responses from Namesco have centered around it being 'somebody else's fault' - and blaming the existings systems which seemed to work well enough when the original owners were in charge.....
Seems like the whole thing wasn't thought through all that thoroughly.)

The other worry I'd have (if I was contemplating staying with Namesco) is that a quick trawl through their UK hosting packages shows nothing that compares in price with the current 'legacy Register365 package' that I'm on.

Unless I can't see straight - the cheapest package they offer that allows the hosting of multiple domains (and only ten of them at that) is their Designer Host deal at UK Pounds 19.99 / month - about €25 - and if you want more than ten domains then you're looking at €50 / month.

Now maybe Namesco are going to be terribly generous - and implement their own wonderful hosting package/platform for us folks here in Ireland - but what's the chance of them matching the existing (very reasonable - for the level of service we used to get) economical deals that we've currently enjoyed ? Not a lot - I'd say....

Now I'd guess that, when the New Dawn comes, and Namesco finally get their act together, existing Irish clients will wake up to a generous price hike ......

In the words of the classic Eagles song 'I'm already gone' (or will be just as soon as I can get things organised.
Moving everything's a pain - but I think that staying with Nasmesco is going to hurt even more...

So folks - any ideas as to how to move the data from a 1,100-name email list on Reg365 across to a new provider (Plan B involves lots of copy/paste work - if anybody has a simpler Plan A then I'm all ears!)

Adrian

Jabberwocky

Unless I can't see straight - the cheapest package they offer that allows the hosting of multiple domains (and only ten of them at that) is their Designer Host deal at UK Pounds 19.99 / month - about €25 - and if you want more than ten domains then you're looking at €50 / month
Hrm. A cynic might say that 365 only dropped their prices to pack in as many heads as possible in order to make the division an attractive target for a buyout, knowing full well that new owners would almost certainly try to capitalise on the population by jacking up the prices. A cynic might say that, indeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.