Status
Not open for further replies.

Forbairt

Teaching / Designing / Developing
Use the domain ye have as the domain ye want to use :p

Ye'll get a link and be able to upload all your files.

Initiate a domain transfer with blacknight
transfer domain names ireland, move domains - Transfer Domains: Blacknight Solutions

ye'll have to pay for another year of the domain.

Wait ... and it should go across ...

Derren will get an email to his gmail account ... and hey presto follow the simple instructions and away ye go

leilapan

ok.

I think.

Patience. Very thin. Frustration at maximum point.

the "boss" now has changed his mind. his first priority is the bots because of the ranking. people won't click on us if we aren't in the top couple of positions, well we would get more traffic that way. which i agree with. but the users are only his second priority.

so he still wants to know WHERE the bots are. if they are in the US he will stay with our host.

he understands the page load time affects the users. but he thinks if the bots are in the US then it would be better to be close to them.

i cant actually form any coherent words right now.

how the heck do i explain this to him? its good for the users but i dont know about the bots and he only cares about the bots. i cant find the information about the bots.

how is it better for seo if we are hosted in ireland. how do the bots know? i dont know how to explain to him. how can the bots tell if there is a slow page load time? i dont know how to answer that. i am here to better the rankings. i need to do that. how will being hosted in ireland help that? i know how important it is for the users. and that they...sigh. anyway i know how important it is for them..but how is it important for seo...i can see the logic of it being better to be hosted in ireland. because well..we are an irish company.. and the load time will be less...but for seo...how does it make a difference? i just dont know how to explain. i only have a gut feeling and that wont convince anyone.

i didnt swear!

Forbairt

*sighs* .. *grumbles about virtual guinness*

Anyways ...

Location of the bots doesn't matter. The bots could be running out of my spare bedroom ...

What the bots do care about is the location of the server.
You're an irish company ... nothing tells me your irish ... hosted in the US ... using a gmail address ...

*sighs* I'm going buying a beer :D

Forbairt

no problem ... boss needs to get into web development for a few years and then make decisions about web design :D

leilapan

o my gods. he agreed!!!!!

yay.

the ranking dropped from the original site. i dunno why. possible keyword stuffing in image title tags. the coding was redone to a more seo friendly way. a few pages were added thats all that changed really. working on my boss to ease up on the keyword stuffing. the previous site had outdated coding in. some of the content on new site was improved. i dunno why it dropped!! in theory its a better site. we added the testimonials too. and blog in the menu.

would that make such a big difference? why would it drop?

the alt tags in previous site were stuffed too.

man. im trying so effing hard here!!!!

doing all the research i can. i have to concentrate on the ppc too though...AND im doing the office admin. ppc needs work.

right. seo first. we dropped.

any new advice?

Gavin

would that make such a big difference? why would it drop?

The reasons can be endless. Look forward instead of back but what I want to ask what you meant by original site? Do you guys have two sites on the go?

Hoover over your home page links and look where they are linking to, looks messy. On your home links, including the banner, link to the full domain of the site: http://www.learnenglishindublin.com/

leilapan

no we dont have two sites but the first site was outdated code and content wise. so it was re-coded in a more seo friendly way. content improved as much as i was allowed to.

what exactly looks messy? all of the links inn the homepage content? sorry im unclear about what you mean...

Gavin

Its expected to see a drop after making changes, even the smallest of changes. As Blacknight said it takes a bit of patience.

The links that take the visitor back to 'home' is what I meant.

leilapan

also, because the site was already in existence before we became aware of the mod_rewrite thing...what about the links that the site already has? its basically a redirect right?

for the blog specifically, will i have to change the links to the main sites to the new mod-rewritten ones?

Forbairt

regarding the mod_rewrite

is it necessary to add a .html or anything to the end

or would www.learnenglishindublin.com/italian/ielts be ok?

the new coding guy said something bout there being a security bonus by adding .html at the end because people won't know we are coding in php...

thoughts?

My understanding is that having .html at the end is purely cosmetic ...
I tend to have /cat/post

(until I get the post away from the cat that is)

If your php is insecure get a new coder :D

security by obfuscation isn't really the way to go ... but it doesn't hurt :D
changing an admin folder to bobblymint for example could prevent people trying to log into your admin panel if it was so named ...

also, because the site was already in existence before we became aware of the mod_rewrite thing...what about the links that the site already has? its basically a redirect right?

for the blog specifically, will i have to change the links to the main sites to the new mod-rewritten ones?

You'll want to 301 redirect the pages (should be able to do this in the .htaccess file) this should preserve any ranking / merit the pages have ...

Status
Not open for further replies.