Status
Not open for further replies.

barrymac20

Hi all.

I'm taking on a project to set up a website for my local soccer team and as i'm a bit of a newbie with regard to hosting etc. I'd like some advise. A mate has recently setup a similar type website and uses hostingireland.ie as his host. These seem to be a bit more expensive than other hosts, and also seem to charge more for the domain names, and dont seem to provide as much space/bandwidth etc. Is there a reason for this? Has anyone got any experience with them?

Is it advisable to use an irish host or would it be ok to use one in the U.S. for example. I suppose for support i'd be better of with an iridh one.

As i'm new to this game i'm going to use a CMS to design my site. As my mate is using Koomla i'm thinking of doing the same.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as i'm a bit confused as to what to do.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Hosting is a business and each company chooses how it wants to price its services ...

There's a reasonably comprehensive list of Irish hosts in the sticky at the top of this forum, which might be a good starting point for you

barrymac20

Hosting is a business and each company chooses how it wants to price its services ...

There's a reasonably comprehensive list of Irish hosts in the sticky at the top of this forum, which might be a good starting point for you

Thanks Blacknight, you're very helpful.

cgarvey

Is there a reason for this? Has anyone got any experience with them?
They're just less price-competitive! It's a free market. They might make up for that with good customer services, or they might just be not competitive! Google for reviews on them, before considering them (or any host, for that matter)

Is it advisable to use an irish host or would it be ok to use one in the U.S. for example. I suppose for support i'd be better of with an iridh one.
To get a good ranking on Google.ie (if you're even interested in the site's SEO ranking?), you'll need to either host in Ireland(*), or have a .ie domain. Some SEO people will argue you need both, but there's not much evidence of that, and certainly nothing conclusive.

(*) Hosing in Ireland means hosting on servers in Ireland, with Irish IP space, not necessarily just with an Irish hosting company. Some Irish hosting companies resell on US servers, so that won't work for SEO (because your site will be served off a server with a US IP address).

As my mate is using Koomla i'm thinking of doing the same.
Joomla, presumably? Install it on your machine and have a play with it There are much simpler CMS installations out there, but Joomla is powerful and has a whole bunch of modules if you want to build a more complex site.

Status
Not open for further replies.