Not showing in SERPS... stumped

Status
Not open for further replies.

defeated

Hi, I have a few sites I made recently. They are really basic. I thought I'd get them up first and then improve them as I went on.

The trouble is that they are not showing up for any keywords apart from their own url.

Pages are indexed in google. (just not showing up in results)
A search for each of the urls returns the site in top position (which the webmaster guidelines imply should mean that there is no problem)

A search for any of the sites with no spaces eg. salesjobsearch only returns mixx or digg results for the sites.

I can't figure out what I've done that is so wrong.

Here are the sites:-

Free job posting to multiple targeted sites | JobShot
MyNEXTJOB.ie | Irelands newest jobs site
Nursing Jobs Ireland. For Nurses and Nursing
Sales Jobsearch. For Sales Professionals
Medical Jobsearch. For Medical and Healthcare Professionals

There are another 20ish niche sites to follow but there is no point until I get this sorted out.

More info: I built the first three sites on the server behind the holding page, but I linked to some pages through twitter before I got rid of the holding page and replaced it with the index. (not clever but it's a bit late now)

I ran into some trouble with Nursing Jobs Ireland. For Nurses and Nursing by changing url structures... this led to 90 404's before I sorted them out and submitted the site for reconsideration. This has been done... but no change. (404's still showing in webmaster tools)

Since the reconsideration request I have reduced the number of links per page to under 100 (previously up to 200).

The thing is that I have not done anything that I have not done before without problems. Any suggestions?

defeated

Last night I was up the wall with this:confused:. Today the sites are appearing in the results.:eek: Looks like I was just too impatient again:rolleyes:. Now to build the rest of my little empire!

Anybody got any good ideas about how to monetise sites like this? I don't want there to ever be any charge for posting jobs, but I will need to make enough from them to keep the sites going. It's a hobby really, and a playground for testing out SEO ideas.

The whole idea was to help out recruitment agencies and companies while learning how to post with xml and do some more in-depth database work than I'd done previously.

I thought there was room for some free job boards (I actually think the days of job boards are drawing to a close as Linkedin et al take over).

weboptimeyes

Ranking fluctuations on Google.ie

Hello

Since late September our rankings have gone from top positions on page 1 on Google.ie, to page 2.

Initially they were fluctuating on a daily basis down to page 5 and back to page 1. We have always ranked very well on Google.ie for hotel related phrases but now we seem to be grounded on page 2+ for most of our top phrases. The strange thing is that our rankings on Google.co.uk and Google.com have got better. We are also hosted in Ireland and rely heavily on the domestic market so our rankings on .ie are very important.
Has anyone else in the tourist industry noticed this? In Google's caffeine tool our rankings look fine. Could this be part of the Caffeine update i.e testing on one datacentre. Any opinions would be appreciated.

eamong

not showing in serp

Since the update my site has ranked well in google.ie but not in google.co.uk where it use to rank in on pages 5 - 8 site is hosted in Ireland

any idea's why

link8r

Hello

Since late September our rankings have gone from top positions on page 1 on Google.ie, to page 2.

Initially they were fluctuating on a daily basis down to page 5 and back to page 1. We have always ranked very well on Google.ie for hotel related phrases but now we seem to be grounded on page 2+ for most of our top phrases. The strange thing is that our rankings on Google.co.uk and Google.com have got better. We are also hosted in Ireland and rely heavily on the domestic market so our rankings on .ie are very important.
Has anyone else in the tourist industry noticed this? In Google's caffeine tool our rankings look fine. Could this be part of the Caffeine update i.e testing on one datacentre. Any opinions would be appreciated.

Google doesn't randomly pick on people and drop them. Its constantly changing the way in which it calculates authority and that determines how you rank. More authority = better ranking (very oversimplified but)

Can you give us some more information to work off perhaps - there isn't really a lot more I can glean. It would be great to have the domain name at least and what keywords you're agonising over.

You might rank better in the UK for a number of reasons - but without knowing more, this is really a wildcard guess.

1. You could have a domain name that was previously seen as a UK site
2. Your site shows up in Google UK for a search for a phrase with "Ireland" or something Irish, and there may not be any UK-based competitors (although you'd expect the sites outranking you in Ireland would outrank there too)
3. You're checking different phrases in Google.co.uk
4. You've more links/relationships with UK based sites?
5. You're domain geo-target has been set to the uk?

Status
Not open for further replies.