One or more domains

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bernard McNamee

Hi folks,

I'm new to this domain. I hope to check in from time to time and contribute where I can.

Now I have a question. If I use extra domains to create referral links to the main domain, will I lose or gain? Lose by not having hits directly versus Gain by having extra referral links from domain names which reflect a variety of keywords in the domain title which more closely match the search term?

Thanks

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
You could get caught for creating a "link farm" if you're not careful, as it sounds like you want to trick the search engines into thinking that you have links to the site (unless I've misunderstood what you're trying to do)

barnyard

Well, I want the user to find my main website directly (through my main website) or indirectly (via another website). If I raise my ranking through this method then all the better but if I am penalised the obviously it would be a bad strategy. By the way you've phrased your answer 'trick google', I'm guessing this method is frowned upon by Google and would be penalised.

greatar4

If your goal is to simply refer people to your main site, that would not be a problem. But, if you are doing that just to manipulate the search engines so that you can get better results that can get your site into trouble. If you're going to do that, you are going to have to use the rel="nofollow" tag.

barnyard

Thanks for that info. I think I understand blacknight's comment better now. I didn't realise there was two ways of looking at it. Is there a resource you would recommend for making the miost of google that you would use yourself?

Status
Not open for further replies.