Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

link8r

Google publishes Toolbar PageRank quarterly (or thereabouts) on a scale between 1 and 10. This toolbar pagerank is often obsessed over by many SEO's and website owners across the globe.

Many people are quick to jump on the fact that Toolbar PR is not related to SERP's and many even rubbish it entirely. There are also many web pages that allude to toolbar PR exports being dropped in 2009.

More info on PageRank

Given what we know, would you miss PR? Really?

Tom

I would miss it, I think it's one of many measures that I can use as a person browsing the Internet to judge a website. It's not a be all end all way to measure a website and a website shouldn't be judged solely on it's pr but it is a useful at a glance measure all the same.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
While it may not be 100% accurate it's a reasonable metric to use at some levels, so I would miss it

n3tFl0w

wouldnt miss it at all - i ignore it completely

I second this. And I'd disagree with Tom on his point of using it to judge websites - I dont think anyone apart from webmasters uses it all that much. I work with som very intelligent (and some very stupid) people and after asking them - they don't even know what it is.

kflanagan28

I don't know. It's something you can measure in terms of link campaigns. But I think people become fixated with it. PR has nothing to do with your keyword rank. I have seen PR 1 sites outrank PR 5 sites for selected keywords. Plus I think a lot of people just try gather links from high PR sites regardless of weather that link adds value to your site.

But I suppose it would be kind of strange with it gone. Its always nice to look at :)

link8r

I'd definitely miss it. It's amazing to see how many "SEO" sites there are now in Ireland with PR=0 or 1 or 2!

kflanagan28

Well all sites start off as PR 0. You can have a great site, extremely well optimized and it can have a low PR.
I have had discussions with people who think SEO is easy because there blogger or wordpress blog has a PR of 4 or 5 (this says a lot about how much Google values Web2.0 properties). But that doesn't really mean anything. SEO is not about PR, its about delivering business goals (Leads, Sales, PI).

link8r

then is it really well optimised - taking ALL things into consideration surely would mean avoiding blackhat/dodgy/illegal/spammy things?

kflanagan28

Well this is really dependent on how you classify a *well optimized site*. I was merely basing the above post on new site that has been optimized for its target market both in terms of keyword focus, usability, focused content etc. Obviously this doesn't take into account off page factors like link building etc.

But as I said, it all comes down to opinions. I know sites that are well built, target their chosen market and start making money in 6 months. These sites are *optimized* to fulfill their business goals. Just because they haven't yet acquired a high PR, doesn't mean they are not well optimized.

link8r

Just to refocus the thread, I think the idea that PageRank and SERP's are no related was mentioned at the outset but I'll re-iterate it here. The question was would you miss PR if it was taken away, not do you think it's important.

In terms of PR. PR is a scale that is mostly affected by inbound links, the quality, relevance and so on of those links (not going into it here). I think also that the index that the site belongs to affects the PR too - something we've debated here shortly too.

So when you see a site with low PR that claims to be an SEO site, thats what I find hilarious. A website for an SEO should be able to get a 3/4/5 out of ten. A 0 or 1 or 2 is just a joke. A site with at least 25 mediocre quality links will get PR2 by the next PR update or within 6 months.

A lot of so-called SEO's are really rubbish at link building and this is overlooked in favour of a hundred other things. Yet a site cannot validate itself or give itself authority, regardless of how much unique content is on it (I'm not rubbishing creative, unique content development) - you still have to get quality, relevant links - and this is the hard work. And that's why I would miss PR. Because you lose a view of that effort, even if it's rubbish/fubar a lot of the time. It's our only "view in" - even though it's largely distorted, massively scaled down - its still a view of what Google is doing/thinking.

Web Templates

I would miss it, I like to see progress that a site makes. I know its probably psychological but I still like it. Its an okay long term indicator of how marketing efforts have been received by Google.

kflanagan28

Well as you pointed out correctly I think we have gone slightly off topic. I was making points on a website in general. Not specific to the SEO industry. I agree if a site is claiming to be an authority on SEO, it should have a decent link campaign behind it.

J
So when you see a site with low PR that claims to be an SEO site, thats what I find hilarious. A website for an SEO should be able to get a 3/4/5 out of ten. A 0 or 1 or 2 is just a joke. A site with at least 25 mediocre quality links will get PR2 by the next PR update or within 6 months.

nevf

I would miss it to an extent.. I would notice that it was gone certainly, but because I use chrome, it's a little more difficult. However, I do all my web development in FF3 (and also have web developer toolbar), and I have pagerank there so I find it really handy in that aspect. Gives a good indication of whats happening to the websites i contribute to, or am optimising.

It also came in handy when I was doing a report on two local websites, an interactive catalogue website and an ecommerce website, and people were really interested in the small section I had in both reports about search engine ranking.

So is it important? Not unless you're an SEO guy.
Does it look good? Yes.
Is it useful? Yes, but don't rely on it.

Would I miss it? yes, but i wouldn't cry about it. Not unless I broke my toe at the exact same time.

32paul52

I think I would miss it -not from SEO point of view but more of "trust" point of view- If a site does have a high PR (or at least some0 its does have an element of trust....

MPC

recently i was doing a pitch for a job and the techie guy sitting in on it refused to believe that a lower pr site could outrank a higher pr site. His main concern was moving the site from pr 4 to 5 asap :rolleyes:

I like PR, it's fun :) .

Status
Not open for further replies.