Pay to get a port opened!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ziycon

Was looking to get a port opened on one of my hosting packages and they want €50 just to open the port, is this standard?
I know my other hosting company don't charge to open a port!

georgiecasey

What??! Sounds pretty weird. I know ports are sometimes filtered on a home ISP account but all ports should be open on a web server. What port did you want access to?

ziycon

Port 51234, just because a script is doing a query on that port, but hosting365 say that its €50 to get a "firewall modification request"!

paul

Ninja
well I guess you need to pay for someone to physically do this, but €50 for possible a 10 minute job ... seems a bit over the top.

Cormac

80,21 are the only two real defaults.
25 might be open if the mail server is the web server.
And whatever port sql uses if sql is on the localhost.

paul

Ninja
80 http ?
21 ftp ?
23 ssh ?

I think, not really sure after a long day at work. Does it need to be a secure port ?

ConorP

That would defeat the whole purpose of having a firewall and leave a server a sitting duck for all sorts of hack attacks.

You shouldn't need a firewall on a well secured box. On my own linux box I can tell you exactly what ports are opened and listening. However I will conceed for shared hosting a firewall might be handy to limit outgoing connections alright.

Status
Not open for further replies.