Robot Text

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caz

I need a little help understanding the robot text analysis of my site. Does anyone here specailise/understand this stuff I am completely lost?

Thanks Caz.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Caz

I've a fairly code understanding of it.

What do you need to know?

Michele

Caz

Hi Michelle,

The robot.txt validator I am using is showing a series or errors all more or less the same as this;

ERROR Invalid Line:
<!doc type html public "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 transitional// EN">

I did not build the site myself and have no coding experience whatsoever. However I've learnt a lot over the last couple of months and have found some things that concern me about our site a little. I am convinced that the SE are having trouble reading the pages, although I know that this could be due to an inherent problem with osCommerce, it might also be this.

Any help with clarification is greatly appreciated, thanks C.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Could you give me link to the page you are checking?

It looks like you may have made an error with your document type declaration...

Though that has nothing to do with robots :)

Caz

Hi Michelle,

So what I'm typing in is wrong? Do you know what I need to put in? Sorry, I just can't seem to find the answer anywhere within the programme I'm working on and as your probably aware by now I'm not exactly an expert.

Many thanks C.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Caz

Maybe if you told us what you were trying to do exactly we would be able to help you

Michele

louie

robots.txt file should be farely simple.
you tell the robots that follows the rules what directory to spider and which one not.
Also not a very good ideea as you give the secret directories out for the ones that aren't really just visitors.
in the robots.txt file you choose what spiders should index your website and what not.
An example:

User-agent: *Disallow: /secure/Disallow: /images/that tells all robots not to spider the /secure and /images folders.Everything else is ok.a better way of protecting a directory is to have it based on login and valid session.

grandad

ERROR Invalid Line:
<!doc type html public "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 transitional// EN">
Correct me if I'm wrong but shouldn't this be
<!doctype html public "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 transitional// EN"> ??

And, as Michele says, there is no such file as "robots.txt", so it can't be validated. Are you talking about HTML validation?

Caz

Guys,

Many thanks for all your responses, someone has been able to calm my concerns by PM, Caz.

Status
Not open for further replies.